I have messed up. remedy Help please!

firem3

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have messed up royally. I got what i thought was some great compost from a horse farm/veterinarian last fall and it has been a huge pain in the rear ever since. I now have some kind of freaky little cup fungus growing under my pole beans which are growing over winter squash (which was a bad idea apparently, the freakin squash beetles are messing up my beans :barnie ) am i going to have to rip out my squash and till the ground or is there some kind of gee-whiz good remedy i can use that wont hurt my plants. This had to have come from the compost because ive never had a crappy year like this till the horse poop.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
could be all the moisture we have gotten over the past week bringing out the mold and fungus junk. I just found a mold on my otherwise extrememly healthy squash plant :/ You could try a fungicide, and squish the squash beetles, and their eggs. It takes time to kill them out, but doing it by hand does work well. I hate those things. they're starting to get on mine a little as well, and I have been painstakingly squishing all of the little boogers i can find.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Soap sprays are good against the bugs.

You could also try soaking a handful of wood ashes and handful of lime in a gallon of water, then sprinkling the water over the plants.

firem3

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
squash bugs are the spawn of satan and i don't remember them as a kid in my dad's garden. can i make a fungicide?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
firem3 said:
squash bugs are the spawn of satan and i don't remember them as a kid in my dad's garden. can i make a fungicide?
Just google pepper soap spray. The stuff works very well. Its a deer repellant too, due to the taste.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here's what I have saved for fungus:

Make a non-toxic fungicide. Mix a solution of four teaspoons baking soda and one gallon of water. Spray on grapes and vines when fruit first appears. Spray once a week for two months, and after each rain. Can also be used on rosebushes against black spot fungus.
Or mix 4 tsp of bicarb and 1 tsp of molasses into a gallon of water and mix well. Spray the solution on mildew/fungus area of the plant. Reapply once a week or so.

I hate those stupid squash bugs. Soapy water worked well for all kinds of other bugs but didn't do anything for my squash bugs other than give them a bath.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
firem3 said:
compost from a horse farm/veterinarian last fall and it has been a huge pain in the rear ever since. I now have some kind of freaky little cup fungus growing under my pole beans which are growing over winter squash
It is extremely common to have cup fungus or ink-cap mushrooms (either or both -- they're two quite different things) growing on horse barn compost, especially if it's on shavings or shredded paper as opposed to straw.

AFAIK they will not affect your garden plants at all. The fungal mycelia are living on the decomposing horse bedding, not on your plants (obviously there are some fungi that affect living plants, but these are not them). I'd suggest ignoring them. Although both are technically edible if you cook them and happen to like them (altho for the inky caps, you gotta pick them before they start to blacken and MUST cook them and should not have alcohol at the same meal).

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I got some nice manure from a nearby farm and now have lots of spiny pigweed and velvet leaf. Darn it. :/

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Pig weed = free chicken food
Yes to that. I have massive amounts of wild spinach in my garden, and it is fed to the animals as I pull it. No waste here!