I have peeps

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I totally agree! Glad you got some doing some before the money ran out. I know How that goes too!
*edited for retarded phone typos

Last edited:

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Yes me too...cause I'll be darned if I have a clue about making acrylic paints and proper canvases :lol: That's mostly what the kiddo wanted this year, and after the past 4 or 5 years, i'd have broke my back to get them for her! She is very talented with paint...something I have never been good at, but give me a pencil and I can hold my own ;)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm very good at drawing-stick figures. :hide

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Deb I can only draw stick figures. Got a call from my DD and she said the 2 blankets that went to her house were a hit. And WBF the no sew are the way to go. Didn't mean to rhyme that at all.;) I did get the final one all finished up on Christmas Eve for delivery to DH's mom and her husband they loved it as well. Hope they can turn down the heat and save a few bucks by snuggling under the blanket. They keep the house at a blazing 80* and while I'm usually cold due to my low thyroid I am at that age where any little thing will set off a hot flash :somad. Christmas day was a little weird for us because it was the first time in 36 years that not even 1 kid could come home. DH was upset about it but they are adults and have work obligations just like we do. I told him that I'm not bad company after all:). We invited over a a new co-worker and her husband, cooked a small prime rib, mashed potatoes, gravy and steamed broccoli with cupcakes from my SIL for dessert. They are from Kansas and don't have any people here so it was nice to spend time and share Christmas with them. I think it made DH happier. As for me I survived the day with lots of Christmas cheer from family and friends and while I can still say that I'm not a fan of the commercialization of Christmas I love the reason we choose to celebrate.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Aw cornwoman that sweet of you. My wc and I appreciated getting invited to share Christmas and thanksgiving sometimes since he had no family here and mine was all in nc.
While I understand empty nest, it's not the end of the world. Hopefully you can get to spend other time with them.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm sure I will hqueen and I know that having new folks over did me a world of good too.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I bought a Brinsea mini at a close out and have had stored away for 4 months and got the chance to use it. Seems a young silkie hen has been laying every other day (great effort) in our miserable cold. I collected 8 of the eggs not knowing if the young silkie roo had matured enough to make it worth the effort. I guess I should never underestimate a rooster of any age.;) I have 3 that hatched last night and have high hopes for the rest. I was hoping there would be a buff color in the bunch but so far they are all black just like the roo. This is the first time in 20 years using an incubator and this one is so much easier than the old one. I will try to get some pics posted I'm terrible at tech stuff but every now and again the light comes on.:lol:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I bought a Brinsea mini at a close out and have had stored away for 4 months and got the chance to use it. Seems a young silkie hen has been laying every other day (great effort) in our miserable cold. I collected 8 of the eggs not knowing if the young silkie roo had matured enough to make it worth the effort. I guess I should never underestimate a rooster of any age.;) I have 3 that hatched last night and have high hopes for the rest. I was hoping there would be a buff color in the bunch but so far they are all black just like the roo. This is the first time in 20 years using an incubator and this one is so much easier than the old one. I will try to get some pics posted I'm terrible at tech stuff but every now and again the light comes on.:lol:

Congrats on the cottonball hatch!

If the rooster is pure for dominate black, all offspring will be black from him. His offspring to non-black hens will only have one copy of the dominate black gene, so they could have other colored offspring as well as black. Black also can hide other colors and patterns underneath that don't show up until you get rid of the black. White in silkies is normally recessive white, so it's possible for it to hide under any color. Blue is a black modifier, so even a double dose for splash that looks like a mostly white bird with flecks of blue is really a black bird.

Chicken color genes make my head hurt. I still don't fully understand all of it.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I don't even try! I had enough genetics when I was in college and while I understand the principles behind it, and can figure out simple stuff, I sure don't feel like getting into the more involved stuff!

Latest posts