i have quail....now what?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I figured out I'd had 1 female and like 5 males, so what I thought was cannibalism was just too many boys having fun with the only gal!
Yikes! That poor thing!

I have also read that bobwhite quail are meaner than coturnix. Glad I got the coturnix! LOL

The quail are getting to know me. They are kind of in a high traffic area so they are getting used to all the activity. My white quail (I think she in an English) has learned to beg already. Seriously!!! There is one feed cup that I have been putting crushed cat food in (recommended for increasing protein levels). If they cat food is gone and she sees me, she goes over and stands on the edge of the cup bobbing her head until I refill it :p

The other 3 quail are kind of dopey, but Snowball (aka Cricket because of her chirps) seems really aware of things. She is really growing on me. Around here we tend to breed for personality so I am looking forward to some little "crickets" once I get the bator cleaned up. I think I will try hatching a batch after Christmas once son #1 goes back to Ft. Riley. There is no place for the bator anywhere except his room.