I have rabbit poo and a garden, now what?

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I am new to rabbits and this is my first year with a garden. I know that rabbit poo is supposed to be a good fertilizer but do you need to do anything special to it before putting it on the garden? I have a tray in the hutch that has straw in it for them to bed in/ pee and poo in :rolleyes:
Some of the poo falls throught the wire on the bottom of the hutch and onto the ground so could I use that too? How do you all use your rabbit droppings?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Great question. I look forward to hearing what others have to say. My rabbit is not producing very much but I did sprinkle the last tray into my big potato basket. I hope that was ok. :idunno

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lucky you! Rabbit poo in the garden is GREAT! just throw it out there....and watch the garden grow!;)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
bunny poo is not hot...you can dig it right in the base of the plants. You can also make bunny poo tea with it...think sun tea :cool: gives a nice little quick boost.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dace said:
bunny poo is not hot...you can dig it right in the base of the plants. You can also make bunny poo tea with it...think sun tea :cool: gives a nice little quick boost.
Just dont drink it! :sick

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Can I use the straw as a kind of mulch, would the pee burn the plants?

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would think that rabbit manure would have to be composted first before putting in the garden.

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hiedi said:
I would think that rabbit manure would have to be composted first before putting in the garden.
Maybe not, I was just reading on another forum where some people use it directly in the garden, like Dace said. Personally, I would compost it first, just to be on the safe side.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Rabbit manure does not have to be composted and can be added directly to the garden - as can goat manure (and sheep, too). I had a few bunnies over the years and loved having that great manure source available. My great grandmother had rabbits and a fantastic garden.

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know there are different schools of thought on this subject, but I am thinking along the lines of introducing harmful pathogens in soil using fresh manure in the garden. If growing certain vegetables like root crops, lettuce or spinach, that could be an issue.