I have rabbit poo and a garden, now what?

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Composting alone won't remove pathogens anyway. That's why you aren't supposed to use compost that dog or cat feces has been added to in your vegetable garden. Vegetarian animals are usually considered "safe" as they are not consuming other animals that may carry diseases. Now if one of the bunnies has a cold or gets sick, I would not use the manure from that time in my garden at all just to be on the safe side.

The main reason for composting manure is to help reduce the amount of nitrogen so that you don't get nitrogen burn. As reinbeau mentioned, rabbit, goat and sheep manure tends to not have as high a nitrogen level.

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Composting is certainly not an exact science, but the information suggests that composting animal manure does reduce the risks of introducing pathogens into the soil. Some agriculture extension websites do not recommend introducing fresh manure into vegetable garden soil, but obviously many people have been doing it for years with no problems. My suggestion would be to do lots of research and read information from many different sources, then make an informed decision.

http://cecalaveras.ucdavis.edu/files/55454.pdf

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Hiedi said:
Composting is certainly not an exact science, but the information suggests that composting animal manure does reduce the risks of introducing pathogens into the soil. Some agriculture extension websites do not recommend introducing fresh manure into vegetable garden soil, but obviously many people have been doing it for years with no problems. My suggestion would be to do lots of research and read information from many different sources, then make an informed decision.

http://cecalaveras.ucdavis.edu/files/55454.pdf
The general rule of thumb is to dig the poop into the soil, don't let it sit around/touch leaves and edible parts. It certainly wouldn't hurt to avoid putting it around root veggies....and with the tea I suggested, pour it on the soil around the plants not directly on the foliage :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Bunny poo is great added straight on the garden! It is a "cool" manure and just crumbles up and dissolves into the soil, as well as making great worm food. :thumbsup

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My neighbors in Idaho raise rabbits and little pebbles are all over their garden. They keep asking me if I want some as they seem to have a ton. I guess I will take some when my garden is built. They say its totally safe.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
You guys are making me hungry. :drool
I reckon I should talk to my sister about stealing some of her bunny castings for my garden. :bun :lol:

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
PLUS bunny poo is pre-pelleted! When we raised rabbits I used to use a lawn spreader set wide open to spread my poo on the garden. Wish I had a truckload of the stuff!

Latest posts