I know that people will survive but.... (a whine)

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I live in California in a county surrounded by pot growers. So maybe things are not a bleak for the US as I feel at the momet.

What triggered this was going to get a pair of new tires for my truck before the old bald ones caused me to go over the edge of a mountain this winter. I asked if there were any US made tires to buy- they said no, they are all from China. And this was the old, local tire store that had been running the same commericals on the local station ince 1980. I almost cried.

Then the new local push in California is to legalize pot- the advocates of this feel that the time is now as the State has budget trouble for as far into the future as a person can see and they say that taxing pot will get us out. Utter nonsense but I think it just may happen.

Mind you I live next to a man who's a 60 year pot head who lets his two horses live almost 24-7 in a denuded 3/4 acre paddock with manure everywhere because he will not spend the 15 minutes to pick it up as it's behind some tree so he can't see it- of course it creates real problems for me as it runs the length of my fence line. He has 6 acres but doesn't "like the looks" fo fencing- so he occasionaly lets the horse out with no fencing to hold them in. He drives his children around while high, etc etc. He contributes nothing to maintaining the water system of course.

Then there is the pot grower just 1 house over- he has introduced himself to me about 5 times because he is so high each time he can't remember. Or the guys camping on their ten acres next to him who are doing a commercial grow right on the creek where we all get our water. Can you say poisoning from the fertilizer excess?
Driving too fast down the private road past the little kids playing? taking too much water?

All seem to have money to blow on everything.

Sometimes I jsut want to cry.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I feel for you being "surrounded" by fools.

You want to live clean, easy, smart, healthy, simple, un-aggrevated, safe and more yet you are surrounded by the fools. The fools who take it all for granted and want to be stoned. Want to possibly hurt others and never accept their responsibility level.

UGH

I feel for you truly. Lucky me ---that is not visibly around me at all.

What I have is good old country folk mainly. Not bad "so far"
AND I don't know if society as a "good" whole will survive if it is legalized. Seriously, how much more pathetic can WE become?

I can say now if we legalize pot we are sending this country into a tailspin we will never fix.

If we legalize pot we are allowing the dangerous into society with pure acceptance!! Something I will not accept ever!

Life is hard and terrible enough when things are dangerous while being illegal, can you imagine the fools and accidents and horrible stuff that will happen the minute we say legalize pot and make money. OMG! I am not willing to think about it truly.

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, I spent 10-11 years smoking pot. I always had a job, paid my bills, kept my home and yard clean. I can't lie, I enjoyed it immensely. I quit for 2 reasons; one, to be an example to our children, and two, to keep my job. I have not smoked for 4 years now(except for a Superbowl party 2 years ago lol). I have to admit that my mind is quite clearer and my initiative is light years beyond what it was. I know some folks smoke responsibly, and keep thier business taken care of. Others though...like your neighbor, Enjoy, are the typical worthless pothead. You see the same thing with alchohol, though. Some folks enjoy a beer or two resposibly....others wallow deep in a bottle, ruining thiers and others lives. As far as legalization...I have to admit, I'm on the fence with this. It could be taxed, sold like liquor, and bring more dollars for communities. On the other hand...if it becomes that easy to acquire, what will be the effect on our moral structure as a nation? Pot takes intiative, and staying high can erode morals...I speak from past experience.

Reaction score
I think eventually you will see pot legalized in a lot of states. It only makes sense. People are going to smoke whether it's legal or not. legalizing it will improve the quality and reduce a lot of the crime associated with the black market. Hopefully some people that drink will switch to pot and eliminate some of the DUI accidents, wife beating, fights and the generally bad things that people do while intoxicated. I smoked pot for 25 years and I would still smoke if I didn't have asthma.

In a perfect world there would be no pot or alcohol. You'll never get alcohol outlawed so it's only fair that pot be legal. Beside pot does actually have some medicinal purposes.

All segments of society have responsible and irresponsible people. There are people that drink responsibly and others that don't they are just typical booze hounds.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Personally, I would MUCH rather be around a pot-head fool than a drunk fool but that's just me. I know too many people who could have or have benefited from medical marijuana to ever complain about the legalization of pot.

homestead holdout

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm confused about the connection between pot and tires made in china? Or is it just part of a bad day? Either way, I grew up in Alaska when pot was legal there.... All of our parents had it in our gardens along side the broccoli and tomatoes(it's a natural pesticide). My Dad is a University official so he didnt side with anything illegal and asked us as teenagers who were bound to experiment with something, to smoke pot legally in his home rather than drinking, driving on black ice and killing someone.... My point is, all my experiences were positive until it became illegal. To me it would just be going back to a system that worked just fine so I dont have any fear. Growing up in Alaska, a place with fewer laws and WAY less crime, we actually knew cops were our friends, people who cared and would help you if you were stranded on the side of the road, good guys. My kids think cops are bad guys, pulling you over because you are a teenager, rude, dont care at all. It's a sad different world for them.... I truly believe that the guy who is neglegent with horses and the other stories of disrespect for the earth, nieghbors, etc. apply to people who dont smoke pot, just as often as to those who do. That is character and value specific, pot doesnt make you who you are not. You can be an even bigger jerk if you legally drink scotch all day or if you just are. In a nut shell, nice people smoke pot and mean people smoke pot, nice people are sober and mean people are sober.......

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hopefully some people that drink will switch to pot and eliminate some of the DUI accidents, wife beating, fights and the generally bad things that people do while intoxicated.

_______
Big Daddy
I can only assume this came out wrong..LOL
Cause everything you said will happen when STONED and HIGH on pot.
Just another mind altering situation.
A DUI will be a DUS (driving under stoned)

and wife beating and fights and general bad things will happen with more frequency under the influence of pot because it is legal. more people will be apt to try it and we all know, usually many people become bad drunks and worse, bad potheads.

homestead holdout

Power Conserver
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Hopefully some people that drink will switch to pot and eliminate some of the DUI accidents, wife beating, fights and the generally bad things that people do while intoxicated.

_______
Big Daddy
I can only assume this came out wrong..LOL
Cause everything you said will happen when STONED and HIGH on pot.
Just another mind altering situation.
A DUI will be a DUS (driving under stoned)

and wife beating and fights and general bad things will happen with more frequency under the influence of pot because it is legal. more people will be apt to try it and we all know, usually many people become bad drunks and worse, bad potheads.
I'm curious what evidence supports this and how you are sure this will happen, when as I've said - I've already lived in a legalized pot system and experienced the reverse of what you are saying will happen. My evidence/personal experience is what I base my feeling that it wont create a more dangerous society on..... And are you saying bad potheads are worse than bad drunks? Not sure if that's what you mean but if so, definitely (but respectfully) dont agree......

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
drunks or stoned potheads are the same to me---useless!

there will be worse stoned potheads out on the roads and there are still stuipid drunks on the roads.

Make it legal and more will use pot or at least try it and out of that new population of users, you are going to get terrible situations. (I can't find any good in a "lets sit home and relax and smoke pot situation in my own backyard. sad. ) again, that is me personally. my view.

We had this debate before on the forum. I will never agree with legalizing pot or any other drug.

BUT that is my opinion and I am not changing it for anyone.