I let my kombucha die, anyone feeling generous?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Be aware that cultures shipped long distances may sit in a cargo hold on the tarmac for hours, cooking away....so if it doesn't work, try again when the weather is reliably cool during shipping....

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Ok Occam, everything is set to send tomorrow, however, there is plenty of room in the box.

Do you want any kefir grains or goat milk soap??

That's all I can find of off the top of my head that I could send. Unless you want any specific seeds or dried herbs.

Let me know. Oh, and PM me your address. :p

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
If Occam doesn't want any kefir I can send some to you. I only have enough for one more person. Otherwise I do have more than enough kombucha.

Medium flat rate boxes are 10.70 to ship in the US.

Have anything you would like to trade for?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I have not learned how to dehydrate kefir, and so far I keep 'prescribing' it to my family and friends, so I don't have any grains to share right now anyway! But once dehydrated, they can go in an envelope and it only cost a regualr (what? .32cents? I have no idea what a stamp cost! Wow) stamp.

I could really use some kombucha too, but I think I will take Free's advice and wait until it cools down. Noobie? Can I hit you up later?

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah buddy! Just let me know. Probably late October?
So far I have gotten 6 people hooked on it and my best girlfriend is culturing her own batch. One guy that didn't like it calls it Tarkalean tea :lol:

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
If Occam doesn't want any kefir I can send some to you. I only have enough for one more person. Otherwise I do have more than enough kombucha.

Medium flat rate boxes are 10.70 to ship in the US.

Have anything you would like to trade for?
Ha. I have soaps, but I'm sure you're not interested in that, lol. Do you know what the weight would be? A lot of the time, a small 6x6x7 box is much cheaper than the flat rate boxes. Add 10oz for the weight of the box and newspaper packing, lol. Yes, I've shipped a LOT.

woodwzrd

Power Conserver
Reaction score
definately check into the postage thing. I can ship a drop spindle whick doesn't weight that much priority mail for 5.15 as long as the package doesn't get over a pound. It hinges greatly on package size.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I worry about throwing the balance of the SCOBY off even if the heat doesn't kill it outright.

I got lots of kefir grains by straining my kefir through a special strainer I made by cutting the bottom off a sturdy plastic bottle and drilling small holes in it with a small drill bit. This will catch the tiny forming grains and allow them to grow. I got a huge raft of grains within a few weeks and dehydrated a bunch, then the raft grew again from the couple grains I kept my kefir going with.

This year I have been just spooning my two grains out of the kefir each day so I haven't let them multiply. I may go back to straining to multiply my grains again, but I still have a bunch in the freezer. If anyone still needs some around November, I will ship then.

I always have scoby's.

You can cover shipping, or send me something you have that I can't get or don't have, some little item like seeds or herbs or something specific to your area.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Hmm.. I guess it's smart to consider in the other person's weather too? :p I guess it's not in the 40's and 50's like it is here.

The small flat rate boxes are 4.90 but a jar of kombucha wouldn't fit in that. I could send using a different type of box, but you would have to wait until I can actually find a box small enough, I only have a couple and they are large ones.

Monique.. Who are you wanting herbs and seeds from? Are you asking me?