I like this homemade hair conditioner

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I tried the baking soda and vinegar, but after 2 weeks, I could no longer run a brush through my hair. Not sure why, but that's neither here nor there. I'm really bummed that it didn't work for me. I use vinegar and/or baking soda for cleaning everything!

I had some Bon Ami dish liquid (which feels a bit like castile soap to me) which wasn't great for dishes, so I used it in the shower. (I had read somewhere on a poo-less blog that they used sunlight dish soap) I then used my new hair conditioner. I love it, and there's only 4 ingredients.

This recipe is from here:
http://www.readymade.com/blog/fashion/2011/02/25/make_your_own_hair_conditioner
There a few more recipes for things here that I want to try. I used all xanthan gum because that's what I had on hand. The site says use half guar gum, and half xanthan gum. but this works fine.

2/3 cup water

1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum

1 tsp oil, such as olive, canola, almond, or sunflower

5 drops rosemary oil (or whatever scent you want)

Put all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until emulsified.

Transfer the conditioner to an old plastic lotion tube or pump bottle thats been thoroughly cleaned. Use within a month or store in the refrigerator between uses.

When I use up all the bon ami dish liquid, I'll switch back to baking soda plus this conditioner, to see if that solves it.

Latest posts