I love Christmas! and the aftermath of every holiday

farmchix

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I can say the same of Halloween.... Those tree lots and pumpkin patches have to vacate quickly, and are a great source of freebies.

Well, the free leftover pumpkins are obvious; who doesn't love pumpkin pie, pepitos, and squash soup?

And the cornstalks, and other Fall decorations can turn into great mulch and other things...use your creativity.

Leftover Christmas trees, as long as they are not flocked or sprayed with fire retardent, why, they can be run through a chipper or shredder for awesome mulch or to put into the base of your Square Foot gardening boxes. Compost, at the very least.

Pallets are also being tossed out. Turn a few into a free compost bin, or tear apart for free wood for various building projects, even use as fire wood.... unlimited possibilities.

Why should any of these things end up in landfills? That brings us those who had extra money to spend on lavish Christmas gifts, and no longer want or need their old furniture, carpets, clothes, game boxes, replaced by whatever new and improved things they got from Santa Claus... why, my neighborhood is overflowing with cast-offs at the curbside today.

I am always getting complements on some item or another, and then I have to tell the story of how I got it for free, dumpster-diving not required.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm actually looking for some more pallets to build a chicken coop out of... hopefully to be finished before spring :)

Our city collects christmas trees and mulches them, then sells the mulch back to people by the garbage bag full... I forget what group the money goes to, but it's Scouts or something similar.

I love creative recycing :thumbsup

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Farmchix! I think you are going to fit right in..... :D Excellent post about one of my fave things~freebies and dumpster divin'!