I love GOOD beer....but it's SO much $$$, anyone make their own?? How?

johnElarue

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
So, it sounds like the process for making beer might be identical to making wine--same equipment. If it is the same--could I go back and forth between wine and beer? Or will one product contaminate for the next product. I do realize you sterilize, but sometimes flavours can linger.
You may have lingering flavors from the plastic bucket method doing wine. Especially after long use. With all glass, it should be no problem.

Some brewers swear that plastic brewed tastes different, like the difference from canned beer to bottle beer.

HarlansHollowAussies

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I just got all my beer brewing supplies, it was a bit spendy but I got a few things I really didn't need, but would make the process easier and make my beer potentially better!
www.midwestsupplies.com
This is the place I got all my stuff. After looking around extensively I found them to have the best prices and help.
We will be starting our first batch this weekend, so I am going to startt my yeast tonight.. A good info. boo is How to Brew by John Palmer
Good Luck, keep us posted...
I'll let you know how mine is coming along once we get started! :fl

Edited for spelling

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Is this where we sign up to be taste testers?

HarlansHollowAussies

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Just a quick note to all you homebrew lovers.....
I started my brew this weekend and this morning, I realized that I keep my home to cold for proper fermentation. In order for ale yeast strains to grow properly the ambient temperature must be between 65F and 75F, well, I go up this morning and the thermostat said 58F, I checked my fermenter and ,...no bubbles in the airlock.
This means I will have to keep the house warmer, so I think I will only brew ales in the summer and brew lagers ( which require much lower fermenting temps) in the winter and spring!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
HarlansHollowAussies said:
I started my brew this weekend and this morning, I realized that I keep my home to cold for proper fermentation. In order for ale yeast strains to grow properly the ambient temperature must be between 65F and 75F, well, I go up this morning and the thermostat said 58F, I checked my fermenter and ,...no bubbles in the airlock.
This means I will have to keep the house warmer, so I think I will only brew ales in the summer and brew lagers ( which require much lower fermenting temps) in the winter and spring!
i know for wine making--there are blankets you can wrap around the bottle. Or, you can do what we do in the winter and just put it beside the furnace. It will take a bit longer if the temps are low (and 58 is really low), but it will work. We keep our house cool too, and it seems to work fine next to the furnace.

eta--electric blankets.

HarlansHollowAussies

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
HarlansHollowAussies said:
i know for wine making--there are blankets you can wrap around the bottle. Or, you can do what we do in the winter and just put it beside the furnace. It will take a bit longer if the temps are low (and 58 is really low), but it will work. We keep our house cool too, and it seems to work fine next to the furnace.

eta--electric blankets.
I moved the fermenter up to the loft this morning, and turned the furnace up a little. Hopefully when I get home from work this afternoon I will see so bubbles in th airlock.

Latest posts