I lowered my electric bills, slowly with cypress trees

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I live in a house that was built a long time ago by my family for business reasons and it has been my home for almost 25 years. In the beginning we discovered it was real hot and costly to cool off, so we stayed outside a lot during the day, doing things around the house and kept the ACs off.
We planted young cypresses around the place and it took a long time to get them big enough to make a difference, but they are finally giants and my house seems to be hidden in a small forest.
It takes hours for the sun to be able to really hit on my roof, and then after a couple of hours, it starts to set in the west and we are shaded again.
I could have better insulated. When Mom and Dad had this big old thing built, they hired a man to blow in insulation and he must have seen them coming a mile away, cause boy.....did he pull one on them. We only had one foot of powdery junk at the bottom of each wall. Apparently the insulation, which was supposed to be hard foam, disentigrated.
Well after Katrina we lifted the house 8ft and ripped all the siding off the house, put insulation, tar paper and applied cypress boards and between all that and the little forest, its tolerable.
We had a concrete slab poured about 2 years ago and spend time under the house. Its really not too bad.
My brother has been after my husband to let him cut the cypresses and mill them ever since Katrina. He claims we will be sorry if one of them falls on our house. Well the tops of 2 of them did fall on our house, but we were fine. The trees seem a lot stronger than most trees and if something will break on them, it seems to be only the very top. In fact the trees stop wind from hitting my house.
Also my yard floods if the rains come down too fast for the pumping stations to get the water over the levee. Well now, all the puddles disappear a lot faster than they used to.....its the trees sucking it up.
They were a very good investment. It took years to get a return on it, but I know its paying me off now.
In the beginning we were green ourselves and bought trees as we could at nurseries, but then we discovered buying them from our state co-op, in bulk, so we ordered 150 cypresses and 500 pines. Thats not for just our yard......some of it is in my sister, next door's yard.
Anyway....thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Trees can be a great asset for heating and cooling. I have 2 maple trees that keep my house from turning in to an oven during the summer. They conveniently drop those leaves during winter so I can get some extra heat when I need it.

I also use grape vines for summer shade in my duck pen.

I consider plants to be an important part of my home.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
Also my yard floods if the rains come down too fast for the pumping stations to get the water over the levee.
Hmmm..... Sounds like you may be in 'nawlins, metry, "down in da parish", or one of the surrounding areas. :D

ETA metry

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yes trees are sure important

I am planting 2 new shade trees in the front of the house also for coverage....my front gets hit the heat is intense

I am getting 2 trees my Dad has at his house and I know the size and width cause his are full grown they will cover my front and give big relief from the heat and they are faster growing so it shouldn't be "too long" before they help me LOL

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
rhoda_bruce said:
Also my yard floods if the rains come down too fast for the pumping stations to get the water over the levee.
Hmmm..... Sounds like you may be in 'nawlins, metry, "down in da parish", or one of the surrounding areas. :D

ETA metry
50 miles south, mais amie.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Ah...., Plaquemines or lower Jefferson. I'm from down in the parish originally (Chalmation), and have been up in the Ozarks for ten years now. I do miss SE LA, especially fishing. Oh how I could enjoy a good Red Fish Coubillion about now! They do have crawfish farms up here, but this year they were $3.50 a pound LIVE. Yeesh! :rolleyes: I came close to moving back after Katrina, but realized that the area that I'm from is gone, and will never be the same. It's a shame.

Anyway, it is great though, to have another "RCA" on the form! :lol:

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lafourche Parish......Cut Off. Bobby Hebert territory. Joe Barry land. I forgot I had a frozen redfish coubillion in the freezer my mother-in-law brought over. We eat seafood on Fridays. Sorry your former home destroyed. Its sad, but I just have to see a bayou or I feel lost. When the crawfish is that expensive I set nets in the canal in the back myself or avoid them and eat crabs until they go down on the price. I usually get @ least 30LBs for my family. Cajuns.....