I milked a sheep today....

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
and it didn't go too bad. We separated her babes from her probably at about 11 am, and around 4 pm, we went out with teat wash, sterilized bucket et al in hand.

The timing wasn't ideal, becasue hubby had to go to work tonight, and we needed him to hold on, since I don't have hobbles. It actuallly went very smooth. We gave her some hay to munch on, hubby held onto her legs, and dd and I tag teamed the milking. I honestly thought dd would do better than me, but I had the rhythm. I only got about a cup and a half from her, and I'm not sure whether that is great or not, but considering thaat she had only been separated from her lambs for about 5 hours, I am thinking it's not bad.

I have some concerns and questions now. My concern is---she had a sore on her right teat, actually it was on the udder near the teat. One of the reasons I stopped milking is becasue it was raw. any idea what that might have been and how to treat it? Honestly, if i hadn't milked her, I wouldn't have known about it.

Ok, sohow do you know when the udder is empty. the milk was slowing down, but her bag was still round. does it ever completely empty out between milking? (ok, so I know it will empty out, buthow does the udder look /feel when done?

I have more stories about this exciting week we have had here, and I know I promised pictures--they will come. Just to make a long story short, dooly had her babes, we almost lost one twice, she turned into a bottle baby, and a few more facts that I will fill you in on, but now I don't have the time.

Oh, and PS, I have NEVER tasted sweeter milk. Seriously. I'm sure you could make ice cream with it without the sugar--that sweet. !!!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Yea!!!!!! I am so envious! I don't know a thing about milking though. I am glad to hear how yummy the milk is...NEXT YEAR I will be in your shoes!!! :clap

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
congrats!!!

so the sore may have been where she was chafed.... do you have bag balm??

i noticed that when my hands were all beat up my gals would get sore on their 'wanglies".... so i used some bag balm on my hands and also on her.

also - try and have your hands a bit lower... you might not be able to use all your fingers..just hold your pinkies out like you are having high tea with the queen.

as for her being empty - with the goaties i'd milk until her 'wanglies' were flaccid and i was only getting a couple drops. however, about 3/4 of the way thru milking i'd massage her udder to make sure she would let her milk down.

GREAT WORK!!!
:)

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Congratulations!! :weee

Does the sore look like it could be from one of the lambs nudging up to get milk? If it isn't too serious, you should be able to massage some Cai-Pan or Udder Balm onto the sore. Alternatively if you have any Calendula, Plantain, Chickweed, or Jewelweed, etc. ointments they work too.

If she still has milk in her udder but isn't completely full and you squeeze gently, it will feel 'squishy' and you'll be able to feel if there is milk in there. The teats will also be fuller and a bit firmer.
If she is milked out and you squeeze gently you should be able to feel the mammary lobes and veins somewhat directly. That's the best I can explain it, but you should be able to tell pretty easily..

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Thanks guys! As for the sore, it was there before we started milking, but dd and ds had been "practising" a few times prior, andf it may have been lamb inflicted. So, I don't have any bag balm, but can pick some up tomorrow. Is there anything I can use in the meantime, or just leave it until I get some tomorrrow.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I suppose some neosporin or something similar wouldn't necessarily hurt in the mean time, or better yet, if you have an Aloe plant you can put some of that on her!

"wanglies" Love it! :lol:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:clap This is all great to hear, so that when it's our turn we will be able to ask YOU questions! :D So....how did the sheep react? Did she struggle any, try to kick?

I just know my sheeples would tear me up if I tried to milk but I definitely plan to milk a little colostrum from each of them for freezing...never know when one will need this. I have sheep sized head gates built into my pen for just such an emergency.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
Yet another reason I love ss.
You say that anywhere else and people stop letting you near their kids :lol:
:yuckyuck
I was just thinking the same thing.....how many places can you get away with saying that??
Congrats on the milking...not sure if I will try it with my Nellie or not. I have been handling her tummy more and more every day...rubbing...just letting her know im not going to hurt her. She is standing pretty well for the rubbings now. ;)