More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I wish, but I need to get to bed. I'm going to try and get up at 4:30 am! :th

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
glenolam said:
SOAP! SOAP! SOAP! :D
I'm still trying to save money to buy the supplies! Darn feed keeps going up and I can't get ahead! I need to sell some animals, darn it!

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well...if you just happen to take a ride somewhere in the next couple of weeks I know of someplace that has some supplies you could take home... ( ;) )

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Thanks Glen, but I have a feeling it's not going to be do-able for us. :hit

So I milked Purl again today. Ack! What a waste! I put Purl (the ewe) on my milk stand though. Had to bribe her with grain, apples, and carrots, but she did really well again!! I got another quart of milk from her, and decided to try ricotta. Something went wrong though, I guess sheep milk is a good bit different than goat? But it did not separate into curds and whey, and it had been heated to 195*, so after about 10 minutes of holding it there waiting and waiting, I decided to add lemon juice. First I added 1/8 of a cup, then waited. Then nothing! :hu So I added anther 1/8 of a cup, and still no results like with goat milk! :barnie So then I figured I'd just drain it anyhow and see what happens. It took 3 hours of draining, and I just went to see it because it's almost time for me to hit the hay. When I was untying the muslin from hanging, I dropped a corner and it all spilled back into the bowl!!! :he I am too tired to deal with it today, so I'm going to feed it to the chickens tomorrow. The next quart of milk I get will be yogurt!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Have you tried it straight up? My family went gaga for it, and I really enjoyed it in my coffee. I tried it raw, and liked it, but I am not much of a milk drinker. Sorry your cheese didn't turn out. I never had enough milk to do anything with.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Have you tried it straight up? My family went gaga for it, and I really enjoyed it in my coffee. I tried it raw, and liked it, but I am not much of a milk drinker. Sorry your cheese didn't turn out. I never had enough milk to do anything with.
Yes, I did drink some raw and liked it! I just didnt' want to "waste" it just drinking it raw. Weird, I know. :p The cream was very good, very smooth and, well, creamy! :lol: I'm definitely going to try yogurt though. I hope I can trick her into coming into the barn again today. :lol:

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
Train her with a halter?
Oh, she'll walk on a halter just fine. It's getting her caught to put the halter on her that's the problem. :lol: I took pictures today. I'll post them in just a bit!