I need a few more ideas on what to do with Jalapenos.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have been fermenting jalapenos with onions and garlic and they are fantastic but hubs brought home a full full 1/2 bushel of these beauties from a friend from his work!!! I am going to pick up another Fido jar and get another one going with the ferment but I think I want to pickle some too.. Then I might make some jalapeno and onion relish(sweet and hot) and last but not least, I am going to smoke some too and dry them as I've only done about two dozen in the smoker a couple weeks ago with the turkey and got them dry and will grind them as I need them.( is it still called chipotle if they are green when you smoke them?)
On the pickled ones I like them a bit firmer than the last time I pickled is it maybe just a bit less processing time? my brine is half/half water and vinegar with salt and a touch sugar and a few garlic cloves per jar. I did bring them all to hot before packing in the jars and am thinking that maybe I'll put them all in the jars and just heat the brine this time and then process quickly so that they don't over cook. I hate mushy peppers..
I do have pickling lime and have used it before with cucumbers but never tried it with peppers.
So any other recipes on your minds? Favorites?
I found one online that sounds like fun.. Bread and butter jalapenos.. I book marked that one..
OH and I do not can the fermented ones. they go in the fridge and stay sour and crunchy and yummy for a long time. We have already made and eaten up about a gallon of these this year already. I do 1/2 gallon batches and just put the last of the last batch in the fridge.. so hopefully I will get another gallon going.. I might even put in some sweet peppers as they are beautiful this year at the Farm stand near me(and at .40cents a piece I am buying what I can).

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
For a soup recipe that you can use jalapenos in, go to this thread:
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=318453#p318453

Go down to post #8.
That is almost like my Mexican gumbo soup! Looks yummy thank you!
I forgot to say that I have a bunch of odds and ends of food saver bags and I may chop some and just vac-pack some in usable amounts(aka 1/2 cup or so) for salsa in the winter or in my Jalapeno cheddar bagels. I do like the way that peppers freeze and we freeze quite a few of the sweet ones for use year round.. this will be the first time doing a huge amount of hots tho.
I wish I was better at making my moles and adobo cuz I'd smoke and pressure can smoked jalapenos in adobo or some of the chocolate mole.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Hot pepper butter!
Just cook it down like apple butter? Or puree and add to regular butter..:)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
No...it is either ground and cooked down with mustard, vinegar, brown sugar~ or pureed and done the same. Makes a wonderful, tangy, spicy spread for sandwiches, on steak...well, just about on anything. You can make it hot, medium or mild, depending on how much hot peppers you use in ratio with mild banana peppers.

I posted the recipe for it somewhere on here a couple of years back. Easy to make, lovely to eat. I really can't eat a sandwich without it now...too bland otherwise.

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thease are sooooooo goooood!!!
I already have made 2 big batches this year

there arent words that exist to describe how addictive these little savoury, sweet, spicy, crunchy, garlicky pickled jalapeno rounds are. Put them on sandwiches, tacos, rice or bake them into cornbread. Youll need more and more!

Ingredients
3 pounds fresh, firm, jalapeno peppers, washed
2 cups cider vinegar
6 cups white granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
3 teaspoons granulated garlic
1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

Instructions

1.Wearing gloves, remove the stems from all of the jalapeno peppers. The easiest way to do this is to slice a small disc off of the stem-end along with the stem. Discard the stems.
2.Slice the peppers into uniform 1/8-1/4 inch rounds. Set aside.
3.In a large pot, bring cider vinegar, white sugar, turmeric, celery seed, granulated garlic and cayenne pepper to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the pepper slices and simmer for exactly 4 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the peppers, loading into clean, sterile canning jars to within 1/4 inch of the upper rim of the jar. Turn heat up under the pot with the syrup and bring to a full rolling boil. Boil hard for 6 minutes.
4.Use a ladle to pour the boiling syrup into the jars over the jalapeno slices. Insert a cooking chopstick to the bottom of the jar two or three times to release any trapped pockets of air. Adjust the level of the syrup if necessary. Wipe the rims of the jars with a clean, damp paper towel and fix on new, two-piece lids to finger-tip tightness.
5.*If you have leftover syrup, and it is likely that you will, you may can it in half-pint or pint jars, too. Its wonderful brushed on meat on the grill or added to potato salad or, or, or In short, dont toss it out!
6.Place jars in a canner, cover with water by 2-inches. Bring the water to a full rolling boil. When it reaches a full rolling boil, set the timer for 10 minutes for half-pints or 15 minutes for pints. When timer goes off, use canning tongs to transfer the jars to a cooling rack. Leave them to cool, undisturbed, for 24 hours. When fully cooled, wipe them with a clean, damp washcloth then label.
7.Allow to mellow for at least two weeks, but preferably a month before eating. Or dont. I wont tell!

This is really good too.... http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Jalapeno-Mint-Jelly-230705

and one more...

Apple-Jalapeno Jam

4 cups of pealed, cored, and diced apples
1 cup of seeded, chopped jalapenos
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 box of dry pectin
5 cups of sugar

1. Cook apples, jalapenos, vinegar until soft.
For smoother jam (otherwise skip this step): place in blender puree and return to pot
2. Stir in pectin, boil for a min (that can't be stirred down)
3. Add all the sugar at once
4. boil for a min (that can't be stirred down)
5. skim foam and ladle in jars
6. Water bath process 10 min

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you all soo much.. I may try all of these..
I had another idea too.. maybe a green sambal! I know my son loves the red one so maybe a greenone!!!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
You GOTTA make some poppers to have with pizzas! You just split them, take out the seeds, stuff them with a cream cheese cheddar, cheese, and spice filling(mix to your taste I use garlic and chives) and roll them in bread crumbs, freeze them, and pop them in the oven with the pizza to cook until the filling is melted. I made a ton of them, and put them in ziplocs in the freezer.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We love poppers but I like to use the pickled halves. the sour hot and the cream cheese or chedder.. so yummy!!!:D