I need a housewarming gift for a newbie

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I'm with Lori, I wouldn't want to get them in over their heads too soon. I don't plan to get any animals for a little while once we actually get a property, I want to make sure things are in order and I have a plan before I jump in!
Can you put together any jars of soup or something? That might be nice too for a basket. Maybe some recipes for homemade products like cleaning products, laundry soap, etc, written nicely on cards that she can keep handy.

Of course if you have a good gut feeling about it, go with the chickens, LOL. Or if you aren't going too far away, make a deal with them that you'll help them get chickens once they're settled or something.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks everybody for the input!

Sorry Denim Deb, I guess I should've explained better - we have known these people for about five years now (their son raced with our son). Kept in touch because they were good people. They have visited us at our house there several times, and she would always have me take her around and explain what I happened to be doing at the time, as she was fascinated with the set up we had put in place. She is very eager to learn more, but has been in the city her whole life (she's mid 40's) and seems overwhelmed but some things I don't give a second thought to - like hanging clothes out to dry (Her yard right now is about 50 sq. ft). Her husband is only worried about shop space, as their son still races :p

Mrs. Coyote; We left two apple trees, two pear trees, a cherry and some other edible plantings there. Since we have long, harsh winters here, nobody has any trees for sale until March at the earliest, so that would have to be out at this time of the year.

Tamlynn - Hubby is a very good-hearted man. Upon seeing him, people are usually frightened or intimidated - he is mostly muscle, with a long, shaggy beard, shaved head and a permanent scowl on his face :lol: Once they meet him, and realize he'd give you the shirt off his back (as if they'd WANT it - he shreds his clothes :p ), his shoes, all the money in his wallet, and his bank card in case you have an emergency (yes, he has :rolleyes: ), their option changes!

Cheerio- Nobody's getting my baby girl! I have her spoiled just right - she now does the 'happy dance' for her daily treat :lol: - nobody could take care of my Ice Cream good enough to suit me! :D

I told hubby I think we should go with the bread and jam idea (and yes! recipe for jam, forgot that - except she has never canned and seemed very freaked out when I offered this past fall to let her come try it with my equipment :hu ) I have already written up a list of what's what for her (like, that big pile beside the garden area is black gold, aka compost, and this is how most people use it... :lol: ) Then, if she brings up wanting chickens again this Spring, hubby can put his plan in action.

On an unhappy note: The best neighbors in the world won't be there to meet their new neighbors just yet - they called me early this morning - their son had a heart attack and they are rushing down to NC to be with him. Hope for a speedy/full recovery :fl

hqueen13

Reaction score
SS, that sounds like a great plan!! Too cute that she was intimidated by the canning, I wish someone would let me come work with them!! All the folks I know that want to do it haven't done it before either, LOL.

Great that you can pass the place on to someone that you know will appreciate it, even if it takes them a while to learn to use it all! I'd kill to find something like that when we're ready to move!!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
HQ13, if you weren't so far away, I'd say come and help me.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
HQ13,
I think I freaked her out a little bit. She stopped by at the height of tomato canning season - my kitchen fit right in with the old thread on here 'How messy is your kitchen' ! I bet she took one look at the stacks of gadgets, jars and equipment and decided she would be in way over her head :lol:

Sometimes I forget that not everybody was raised like me. I have been canning since grade school (OK, helping then), hanging my clothes out to dry, gardening (my gardens these days are 1/4 the size of the ones we had while I was growing up, although I was foolish back then and never asked him how he did it. The man never had a crop fail! Now, he won't even discuss gardening :/ ), dealing with animals, etc. I have to stop and remind myself: This is to them, what soap making is to you (petrified to try it. Mustered the courage, tried once, bad recipe, made soap soup, haven't worked up the nerve to try again yet). They will be extra fortunate in that their neighbors are quite adept at most things 'ss'. That is, until I talk the neighbors in to moving up here by me :lol:

hqueen13

Reaction score
Yeah, I am like that with some things. I'm not afraid of it, persay, because my grandmother and mother canned, so I have seen the craziness that it can be, especially with a bumper crop of tomatoes! I remember the days of going into my grandmother's house through the porch and having EVERY surface, and I do mean EVERY surface COVERED by tomatoes, save for a tiny walking path through the middle to get into the house.
I am just really reluctant to try anything that seems complicated if I don't have someone that's done it before to hold my hand :p I'm a weenie like that!!

I am, however, game to try lotion bars soon :p

And Deb, I'd SOOO be at your house!! Wish you were closer!!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Maybe one day. I'd LOVE to move out of this area.

dfr1973

Power Conserver
Reaction score
In my family, a common housewarming gift is a seasoned cast iron skillet ... with the note it can be used for cooking in addition to making a great weapon. :lol:

I still have the two skillets Mom gave me when I moved out at age 18 - still use them, have never needed to strip them down.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
dfr1973 said:
In my family, a common housewarming gift is a seasoned cast iron skillet ... with the note it can be used for cooking in addition to making a great weapon. :lol:

I still have the two skillets Mom gave me when I moved out at age 18 - still use them, have never needed to strip them down.
For cooking, or as a weapon? :hide

dfr1973

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
For cooking, or as a weapon? :hide
:lol: Current hubby is a good man, so it's cooking. Plus, no one has messed with our house in years - I guess they figured if the 130lb rottweiler we used to have was scared of the "command voice" our "beware of owner" sign meant business.