I need an EASY yogurt recipe

mississippifarmboy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am having some pretty severe issues with my colon right now and am supposed to be eating "live culture yogurt" daily. Due to my not working, we can't afford to buy the stuff all the time, so I'm looking for a cheaper way to make it here at home. We do have a Jersey milk cow, so have fresh raw milk. I've searched the 'net and boy... some of those recipes are complicated!

Anybody have a cheap, simple, idiot proof way to make it at home?

Pretty please?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Buy a cup of yogurt as a starter, take a quart of fresh raw milk, and heat it to about 180 degrees, add a tablespoon of yogurt. After you mix it well, put it in a glass container, wrap it in a towel, and by morning you should have yogurt. :hu That's how I did it. I then added whatever fruit we wanted to it.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's pretty much how I did it too... I heated the milk to 180 but I would let mine cool off to about 120 before I added some ready-made store bought yogurt to it... I think I added about a quarter cup. At the time I used organic milk and organic yogurt and I put mine into a big ol insulated jug and set it on top of the freezer overnight. Easy peasy.

But, when I tried to make it with raw goats milk I didn't have as much luck...:( I need to try it again.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I found it to be more difficult with goats milk too, but the Jersey cow milk I was getting made it with no problem.

mississippifarmboy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
That's it?

My hero's!!!!!

I'll buy some yogurt and try making some tomorrow. :thumbsup

That sounds easy enough even for me.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
:lol: It really IS simple, I was kinda suprised too since the cost of that mess in the store is so expensive, but it's easy as pie ;)

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Here's mine: Fill a quart jar with milk. Place it in a pan of water and heat to 160 degrees, then remove the jar and set it on the counter. Put a cover on the pan and put it on a towel in a cooler and close the lid. When the milk cools to about 110 degrees, stir in 2 tablespoons (or so) of live culture plain yogurt. Stir to mix well and set it in the cooler with the hot water. Close the lid. Let it sit for anywhere from 2 to 8 hours...the longer it sits, the more tang it develops. Take it out and put it in the fridge. When you're down to the last couple tablespoons, repeat the process. Easy Peasy. You only have to buy the stuff once as long as you get a small container that is a live culture. I make it often and give it to our dogs and chickens too...they love it and it's good for their tummies, too.

donrae

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mine's the same basic thing, 'cept since I'm using good raw milk I don't heat it up as much, I read the heat kills off some of the good stuff. I warm it to 120, then add a big dollop of yogurt (you have to start with store bought, but then save some each time for your starter next time) and stir it in well. I pre-heat a cooler chest with hot water while I'm warming the milk. Then pour the yogurt/milk into jars, set in the cooler in the hot water and shut the lid. If I remember I add more hot water if I'm up during the night, if not, meh. Let it set all night and in the am you have yogurt. It'll be thinner than store bought, so if you want you can hang it in cheesecloth until it's as thick as you want. You can hang it until it's a cream cheese like consistency, mix with garlic and onion and a little salt and eat it with a spoon!
Or, you know, whatever you want.

Prayers for your good health.