I need natural toothpaste help!

oregonchick

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I have been on the internet "uh oh" and I was looking into fluoride!! So now I am using a non-fluoride toothpaste from Tom's of Maine but it tastes terrible and leaves an awful taste in my mouth!!!
I was hoping someone could tell me which natural toothpastes work well or better yet have a recipe to make some!!

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I use Tom's of Maine. What flavor are you using? The peppermint is kind of strong. I prefer the spearmint is a little milder. My kids like the fennel which tastes better than it sounds. Of course you could always use baking soda.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had a dentist tell me that the best home made toothpaste was made of baking soda and epsom salt. I can't stand the taste of it though. I've been thinking of adding some sort of flavoring right before I brush my teeth because it is pretty icky. My teeth look great though and my gums are happy. No stains even though I smoke.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Another Tom's of Maine fan here. I like the fennel or the spearmint. I found it just took a little time to adjust to the taste difference. Now I can't stand regular toothpaste!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I use salt and baking soda...it doesn't taste great first thing in the morning, and aquires some getting used to, but oce you do, you love it. It is very good for white teeth and stong gums, and leaves your mouth feeling cleaner than anything else

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I found a few articles and links that may interest you:

The ingredients needed to make your own toothpaste can be found at your local health food store or natural food market. You may want to buy several essential oils so you can make a variety of flavors. Some good essential oil flavors for toothpaste are cinnamon, peppermint, spearmint ,and wintergreen.

*To make your own toothpaste, measure three parts baking soda along with one part salt into a glass measuring cup.

* For every one-half cup of baking soda/salt mixture, add five teaspoons of glycerin.

*Slowly add distilled water to the mixture while stirring until you get a thick paste.

*Place several drops of the essential oil of your choice into the paste and continue to stir until well distributed.

*Your homemade, all natural toothpaste is now ready to use. Enjoy!
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/18965/how_to_make_your_own_toothpaste_and.html

Peppermint Toothpaste

1 Tsp baking soda,
1/4 Tsp hydrogen peroxide
1 drop oil of peppermint

Mix ingredients together to make a paste, apply to toothbrush by dipping toothbrush into mixture, brush as usual.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I like Spry toothpaste. Pretty decent tasting. You can get it here.

www.iherb.com

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
I use salt and baking soda...it doesn't taste great first thing in the morning, and aquires some getting used to, but oce you do, you love it. It is very good for white teeth and stong gums, and leaves your mouth feeling cleaner than anything else
I ditto the baking soda and salt. However, I prefer the taste of it firs thing in the morning. Regular toothpaste is so strong flavoured--it makes me gag first thing in the morning.

oregonchick

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for your help everyone!! :D I am trying to get away from flouride and the Spearmint Tom's of Maine at my local WalMart has flouride in it :( . I am currently using the peppermint flavor. I usually like peppermint! I think I will try the baking soda/salt recipe and see how I like that.
Has anyone noticed having bad breath? I am afraid of that as I am a massage therapist and don't want to run off my clients!!!