I need someone to hog tie me fast!!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Since we are homeschooling, and chicken husbandry is a big part of it for us, my mom and I planned a field trip to S. C. Farms (yes from BYC).

I am in so much trouble!! I jokingly asked if there would be chicks available and he said YES and now I find myself looking at his site, writing a "short" list of what I absolutely HAVE to leave there with, and wondering if I can sell my kidneys to get the money :lol:

So far my list looks like this:

1 Silver Duckwing Roo (I have a hen, she NEEDS a husband! I know, she told me!)
1 Pair Procelain Mille Fleur (my farm isn't complete without them!)
and my son wants a pair of Quail Antwerps (now how can I deny him?)

:barnie :barnie

:smack

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know how you feel. The place I am going to try and get goats from sells marans and blrw, two breeds that are on my list to get next time around. If I get goats from her, I may just have to get some chicks also...

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Ok let me find my hog rope. Opps, lost it - guess you will just have to go ahead and buy. Besides how can you deny your hen a husband. And your son. Look in his eyes, you know he need those. And on top of everything else you can not and I repeat, can not have an incomplete farm.
So its all settled. Go forth and purchase.
Surely you were not really expecting support for NOT getting what you want.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
HA HA HA
we have all been there! I actually try to avoid situations like that....my friend wanted me to go to a horse sale with her just to see what was there.....no way I said, I would be coming home with 60 of them...LOL

if you truly want them and can afford them....by all means buy! If ya need to wait for some reason, then....boo hoo...I know...who wants to wait..HA HA-LOL

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Well, we had made the very difficult decision to cancel the trip. We watched the president last night and I just got a bad feeling in my gut. Sooo I kind of figured out cost vs gas for the 4 hour trip, and it would economically it will cost less if I just order the birds I want and have them shipped, since Terry does ship bantams! ;)

I also added a pair of Bantam Sultans :th

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I hear ya on this one. We camp on short trips and instead of driving farther now, I am keeping all trips to 2 (maybe 2 1/2) hr. long drive. There is a ton to see in NC so I am just exploring the area. Plus I can get to SC in that amt. of time also and to the mountains....so I got a diverse area to explore.

But a 4 hr drive does burn alot of gas and with the economy no where near getting better yet, I understand you loud and clear..LOL

Do a Google search for your area...you will be surprised what places you could find to visit....hit your Dept. of Agricultural website for your county....tons of farms give tours and such close to your home I am sure. I was amazed how much was on my local website and found alot of new things close to home.

best of luck growing that list...by the time you do buy some chickens you will have as many as me...about 400...LOL-LOL-LOL

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I missed his address, darn it. But you are showing will power - good girl. Here is a pat on the back, pat, pat, pat. Next time.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
best of luck growing that list...by the time you do buy some chickens you will have as many as me...about 400...LOL-LOL-LOL
:th Where do you KEEP them all??

I been selling stuff that just is sitting around collecting dust, per an agreement with hubby to build a 3rd coop. He said if I can raise $100 of the cost for another coop, he will help me build it. That way the entire cost isn't coming out of our regular income. He said then he will pick up the difference and assist building it.

I am going to make a covered run on the new coop because it is for my Silkies and bantams, and bantams fly, who knew?! :gig

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
roosmom said:
I missed his address, darn it. But you are showing will power - good girl. Here is a pat on the back, pat, pat, pat. Next time.
Would you like me to pm you that info? ;) LOLOL

I think we will try to get a field trip in to our local post office or something for the kids. :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have several massive buildings on the farm. We converted an old hog barn into the chicken barn now. They have big inside building with runs outside. Makes for a great situation for them. 12 box metal cavity nesters (have about 10 of them) are lined up along the wall so everyone has somewhere to lay eggs.. HA HA

Good idea to sell useless stuff and get what you want. I do it all the time. I recycle metal at the scrap yard. You would be surprised how much money can be made just heaping metal together and running it occasionally to the scrap yard!

Also instead of a "covered" run you can buy bird netting. Cheaper and easier and you just drape it over the run and they get sunshine etc. but saves you a roofing cost....just a suggestion!