I put in my notice today at work :s

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am a nervous wreck!

It was very hard to do and my boss said (half jokingly) "That is NOT good news!" It is humbling to be needed and depended on, but my family needs me more.

I gave a month's notice with the option of helping them out periodically if necessary. It is also flattering that they don't think they will find anyone who can replace me in a month. :lol:

I seriously can't even think straight.

I hope we don't all starve.

Wait, my parents wouldn't let us starve. :)

Will we have enough money?.... Anyone want to buy a 19 year old college student? He eats a lot, but he would make a great door stop. ;)

Cassandra

OkieJonesClan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think that everything will be fine.:hugs
Take deep breath, a hot bath and just remember that you have a great support network of information here.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Everything will work out!! You are pursuing your dream and you will be so much happier!!
And a 19 yo college boy can fend for himself!!!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I say good for you!

When I quit my coporate ladder climbing career of almost 20 years, my family thought I was nuts. Thankfully, dh understood, and God has truly blessed us and held us in his hands.

If you are planning to go back to work, and you can afford it, take a couple months off to rejuvenate yourself. You'd be amazed at how your outlook changes!

edited for typo

Homesteading_Bound

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I was in a similar situation 14 months ago. I also remember feeling a bit nervous at the time...I was also excited about my new adventure...as I'm sure you are..

My husband and I both worked 42-45+hrs. a wk. I decided after 21 yrs. at the same job that if I didn't jump into homesteading with both feet now...I may not be healthy enough to achieve my goal if I wait until retirement age.

It took me some time to refocus...plus unwind and get out of the mindset that most of us have when we work. The one thing that continues to amaze me is how I looked at the world around me before...and how I'm looking at it now. For me... less is really better.....We are not self sufficient as of yet...however, I'm able to give it more focus and work at it daily. My goal would be to get off the grid...:)

Just look at the support group you have!!!
I wish you all the best... Debra

homestead jenna

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow - good for you. I know it's really really hard to give up a "sure" income and depend on what comes. The grid is nothing - if not lulling with its FALSE sense of security. Bring your back over here and let me pat on it.

(ps. Remember what I'm telling you so you can tell me in a few weeks. I'm getting off the hamster wheel come February.)

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
homestead jenna said:
(ps. Remember what I'm telling you so you can tell me in a few weeks. I'm getting off the hamster wheel come February.)
Squeal! How exciting. I feel better knowing I have someone jumping out there with me. :)

Cassandra (biting nails)

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Good for you! I wish you the best.

Just as keljonma said, we've always placed ourselves in God's hands and let our faith carry us through. It's the only way we could have made this far.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey Cassandra
don't be biting your nails at all......you know this was the right decision for you....plus your nice DH said he would take care of you!!!! you have backup---you look forward and go full speed. that chapter in your life is closing, just let it go, say farewell, smile and point your face straight forward into the future!!!!!!

all will be fine. hardest part when I quit work 3 1/2 years ago was telling myself I was "allowed" to quit work. I never NOT worked...LOL...so it is hard to get out of that mindset. Women have jobs, their family....everything else is second. Once I realized this it was easier to adjust. Hang in there!!!!