I think I should sell my car.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow cassandra...that is complicated. truly.

Can you be covered under your hubbys work policy? Nicole and I are under Tony's family plan? Wouldn't that take care of your insurance and then tell Mr. C that you are covered under hubby and that takes care of that.

you are being put into a bad situation....that is not fair. I understand their wanting coverage, etc...but they are putting you in middle of their problem, yes, I see what you mean.

Ugh....I don't know what to tell you?

Hmm...pay for 1/2 cost and be left with no money in the paycheck each week

or

he pays for a few months, then cancels you and then you have no coverage at all?

UGH

yea you need to truly chat this out with him...I don't know? I am just shaking my head on what I would do, I don't know..LOL-LOL

Davidian

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I have the same dillemma. We're trying to get out of debt but we're upside down on one car... To sell or not to sell.

HMMM

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Davidian, :welcome

To the rest - I've only owned one new car my whole life, it's my truck, actually, and it's been paid off now for a couple of years. We did buy a new Camry back in May, it's technically hubby's although I drive it because of the mileage. We gott a good deal on it then, but now they're selling them for about $2,000 less than what we paid (due to the economy). I guess we're sorta upside down, but the payments are reasonable and we only had to finance about $7,000 of it. If we tried to sell it we'd lose money, but we're not going to.

Cassandra, good luck with your situation, I hope you can work something out on the car.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We haven't done anything yet. We're waiting until my work situation irons out. I will let you know how we resolve it, though.

Cassandra

Reaction score
Try to negotiate something. If you just tell them to come pick it up they will sell it at auction. If it's worth 12k you can figure they will sell it for about 6 or 7k. Then you will owe the difference. If you are in a state that allows garnishment they could garnish your wages. So do some research first. Be careful of takeover payment arrangements. I've heard of too many cases where you do that and they don't make the payments. Anybody wanting to do that most likely has bad credit and can't buy a car. The bank will not give you title till it's paid off so If the people you trusted it to wreck it without insurance you're on the hook for that car as well as the other car.

Good luck, been there.