I think this qualifies - PLEASE HELP

Czechin_it_out

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We need to prepare for the government taking away our rights for self sufficiency...it starts with something like this then goes to h3!! pretty quickly afterward.

Help us protect our rights herein San Diego County, please!!! Roosters first, gardening for food, sheep, goats...when will they stop?????

Please sign the petition here: http://sdresidents4roosters.blogspot.com/

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't really feel that that new law is limiting self sufficiency... they are limiting roosters to two for a 1/2 acre area... to have a sustainable flock you merely need one rooster so I feel that's very generous... That article is trying to save a rooster sanctuary....

I'm all for the government to mind it's own business... but I have also lived next door to a guy who had 20 roosters on a small property... it was awful! instead of like my rooster who crows just a few times per day... sometimes not at all... these roosters crowed even in the middle of the night since they were competing with each other... If he had a large farm it wouldn't be a problem but we lived just a few feet away.... So even though the roosters didn't bother him they drove me crazy... to the point I almost didn't get a rooster for my farm for fear of waking up at 2am to his squawking.... LOL So I can see how this law could be a good thing...

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
cockfighting is very nasty and obviously illegal. so to help stop it (which it is very ongoing like pitbull fights), they limit roosters.
well, in a way they hurt a true 'farmer' and they don't. ONLY top birds should be breeding back anyway to increase the line of your chickens.
Two good roosters is truly all you need for a good line of birds for breeding because if we are limiting to 2 1/2 acres, then your 'flock' will not be that huge anyway.

Roosters crow and the more there are, the more they crow. to some it is like chalk on a blackboard (they are too me)
So keep the best to breed, keep the 'less' to cull and cook and put up in the freezer when they are of age.

heck until they crow and are bigger, most 'animal control' couldn't tell a rooster from a hen when little anyway :)
so you have time to raise a few roosters and put them where they belong, the freezer!

but I am sure it upsets the 'I want 25 pet roosters on my land' people, but truly it is not a bad law (totally)
but anyone living next to that person sure doesn't love your roosters LOL---these kind of laws upset mostly the pet people!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
While there ARE reasons for the laws...I still believe the govt. should butt out of my business. Let them PROSECUTE and actually PUNISH the ones who are doing illegal activities rather than punish those of us trying to make a living. Just my opinion ;)

ETA: Yes, in a lot of cases(25 roosters) common decency has become scarce in America. People should be nicer to their neighbors :(

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Laws are always a fine balance between the needs of the many and the rights of the few. While I'm happy I'm allowed to have roosters here, it would not be OKAY for me to disturb my neighbors. I think laws are important when they are protecting people from one another and one another's thoughtlessness, that sort of thing. Like we don't have the "right" to dump trash whereever we want. Some people take advantage of any situation and laws are made to protect us from the thoughtless.

The hard part is making sure the laws do not keep us all from doing the things we want to do that do not harm other people.

It is a fine balance is all. In the situation of so many roosters, in SOME cases that could mean cock fighting, and I think animal cruelty is NOT okay. It is one thing to eat a rooster for dinner and quite another to pit it against another rooster for blood sport. I know from working in animal rescue that sometimes it is hard to tell the bad guys from the good guys, and so they make laws that effect everyone unfortunately, because it is so hard to catch people in the act of animal cruelty, just like many other crimes that people do not conduct openly.

Czechin_it_out

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
This ordnance doesn't stop with roosters. ALL chickens must be penned and those pens MUST be 50' or more from your home and any other home. This is impossible for people who have less than half an acre. effectively, this makes it impossible and illegal for anyone who does not have more than half an acre to even own 1 single chicken, rooster or hen.

The reason I feel this belongs here and is a worthy fight is because it starts with some thing this small then escalates to insane proportions. Raids have been made on private residences over goat milk. What about the woman in Colorado who had her entire inventory of rabbits seized and faces insurmountable fines?

When will the average citizen be able to do anything within the confines of their own home without harming anyone or anything without fearing the man will take what little they have?

Who is to say that they wont be in your yard next because someone told them you use chicken poo for fertilizer - if the government didn't sanction it, it might be breaking some law....

I', not the paranoid type, but this is something that has really stuck in my craw because of the behind the scenes and back door approach the county took to implement it. this is a BIG county and none of the feed stores knew about it. I'd be willing to bet every poultry owner within walking distance of my home is ignorant ofit, as well.

When do we the people get to utilize our rights? When will Big Brother get out of our beds, marriages, house, yards, children's lunch boxes, etc?

Will this only matter when it personally affects you or will you make a strand to make sure t doesn't go that far?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I read the ordiance.

It does stop with roosters. It said nothing about this 50 ft you chatted about.

from the ordinance:

Environmental Review
The Animal Regulations in the Zoning Ordinance govern where poultry is allowed and, if allowed, the maximum number of birds. The proposed ordinance would not change the Animal Regulations. The proposed ordinance would simply restrict the number of roosters that may be kept on a premises where the Animal Regulations allow poultry to be kept. The proposed ordinance would not increase the number of roosters that may be kept on a premises where poultry is allowed nor allow roosters to be kept on a premises where poultry is not already allowed. Therefore, it can be seen with certainty that there is no possibility that the proposed ordinance would have a significant impact.

did you read the actual ordiance? truly with the wording it doesn't seem like that bad of a situation other than someone wanting a ton of roosters on little property and usually that means cockfighting etc

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Crud, can you hear my roosters at your house???? I guess I need to read what it says. Any laws about turkeys? By the way was this city or county?

I dont think I have a problem with the distance. But maybe volume of birds. :barnie

They won't stop until they control everything!!!!

G

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm onboard with CrisonRose and FarmerChick..One is plenty in most backyard situations. Lets face it, most roosters are loud, agressive and annoying.If you feel a need for so many roosters, plan a move into the deep countryside, why should all your neighbors listen to that all day long in a city like San Diego..? Kinda inconsiderate i'd say...Just my two cents...

Latest posts