I want to grow something on 30' of chain link fence

Our7Wonders

Power Conserver
Reaction score
are grapes a good option? I want something that has decent yields. We love grapes, but I HATE seeded grapes. I'd want a seedless variety. I'm not interested in making juice or wine - these would be just for snacking on fresh and maybe feezing or drying a bit.

I have an area that I'm planning to put blueberries and marionberries in, maybe raspberries too, but I'd love to utilize the fence for something that would grow back year after year.

I'm open to other good fence growing option too.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
You can grow cucumbers on a fence too, and peas I think, anything that vines. I have grown cucumbers that way in the past, saves alot of room in the garden for other stuff:)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Ooooh yeah, I have grown zucchini, cantaloupe, watermelon (and they didn't fall off either!) cukes, ----any vines plants.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I grow sweet potatoes along my chain link fence.

As for grapes, I have a red seedless that is very productive.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
If you are going to grow your grapes "seriously" (pruning systems and all that, for best harvest, as opposed to let them do what they do and you get what you get) chainlink isn't good b/c they get all tangled up in it and it is hard to remove the parts you need to. But if it is just a sort of 'see what they can do' thing, then sure, as long as the chainlink is strongly made (well set posts, top pipe rail not just a tension wire)

I grow clematis on mine but you can't eat that LOL

Should be fine for peas or half-runner beans; it would not be TOO much of a nuisance to clean the chainlink off every year with such relatively flimsy stems as opposed to woodier ones.

Pat

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This year I am planting all my climbing peas, pole beans, and such on a fence line. The peas are about 10 inches tall and have found the fence. :celebrate We will see how it goes.

g

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
for somethign unusual id go with a passiflora, there are ornamentals and edibles, some hardy as low as zone 6, but not all have the normal passion fruit you may be used to...look for incarnata for edible fruit!
however the flowers alone are worth valuable climbing space, they are spacey and weird and absoulty stunning.

honeysuckle flower is edible!
and they are traditioanlly planted to ward off bad vibes, bad luck ect.

scarlet runner beans are realy pretty and yummy

how about hops vine?

most rose flowers are edible and make for some realy pretty salads and rose water is yummy, rose teas are awesome too.

kiwi is fun but make sure you plant male and female vines for fruit

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
We used a chain link fence gate as a trellis for our cukes for two seasons. I think we are going to plant peas on it this year. I got real tired of trying to keep the cukes from growing IN the openings, and if you don't get them out in time, you won't get them out.