idea for unwanted or chipped mason jars

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Very pretty.. I wonder if it heats up too much? or if the lids are perforated?
I use a couple chipped ones as solar lamps during power outages. I fold a bit of tinfoil in the bottom and then just take the black part off the solar path lights and pop on top.. and bummer.. someone took the idea and you can now "buy" lids for mason jars that are solar and screw on to the jar.. $10 a pop on Amazon..

watsonlane

Power Conserver
Reaction score
That's so pretty!!!! I'd use them as pots for small indoor plants or keeping little things around the house in. I keep my salt in one (not chipped) makes tablespoons of salt MUCH easier to get!

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
watsonlane said:
That's so pretty!!!! I'd use them as pots for small indoor plants or keeping little things around the house in. I keep my salt in one (not chipped) makes tablespoons of salt MUCH easier to get!
Now that's a great idea. Sometimes when I use the little spout on the Morton salt box I spill salt everywhere.

odd_duck99

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We put our loose leaf tea in them, and recently I have discovered that drinking beer from a pint jar is much more enjoyable than from a glass. ^_^

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
odd_duck99 said:
We put our loose leaf tea in them, and recently I have discovered that drinking beer from a pint jar is much more enjoyable than from a glass. ^_^
funny you should say that, the local western bar serves their beer in mason jars.

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I use my chipped/damaged canning jars for seed saving. The seeds don't care, and I can see what's inside. I also save some lids, marking them "USED", so I don't accidentally can with those lids.

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
we use jars for everything the standard canning and staple storing...
food in the freezer...
drinking from...storing leftovers...
my hubby and i both do art...and i have switched to house paint...
1 miss tint gallon equals 4 quart jars...(never my older specials or wide mouths,of course)
and i do have some family saving...store jars...but it is great to be able to see all the colours
at a glance...

Chantilly

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I can't see the original picture, so I don't know what it showed. I've seen mason jars lined up on the windowsill at Christmas with strings of Christmas lights inside them. They look really pretty. I don't think I'd save chipped jars (although they'd be great for saving seeds), but I use intact jars for saving things like brown sugar, cake flour, small amounts of dried pasta, etc. in the pantry.