Ideas and recipes needed for NT/WAPF make ahead grab-n-go meals

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So for NT/ WAPF breakfast you need good fats and protein right?? What about the breads? They would need to be out of pre soaked home made grains?? I guess that's the hard part. :hu

g

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Free, breakfast is super easy to make ahead.
Soak several cups of oats for 12-24 hours, using your preferred method (since testing has proven that calcium blocks the phytic acid from breaking down, water and lemon juice are best).
Add lots of eggs to make a thick batter, as well as honey and Cinnamon to taste. Add berries or raisins of choice at this point as well.
Pour into a cake pan and bake till set.
ETA: serve hot with milk or cream!

You can pre-fry eggs and freeze them as well.
Just set out to thaw in the fridge the night before, and heat in a toaster oven or regular oven while you get ready.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
moolie said:
freemotion said:
Ha-ha, OFG, you always get an A with me! Hey, I'm cutting the cheese today! Twice! Caerphilly and feta.

Thanks for the ideas, oldfashioned. I wonder if pancake batter can be "soaked" if not sourdough. Or will the pancakes be flat. How long can pancake batter sit before being cooked? Will it be good after 12 hours?
Don't know if this helps, but I refrigerate pancake/waffle batter for as long as 24 hours before using. Does the refrigeration matter to the soaking? I do it because there's eggs in my batter.

I also got a great recipe from my friend who is a nutritionist for blender waffles--you soak the wheat overnight before mixing it up, so I think it meets with the NT way of doing things. I posted it in FarmerJamie's thread, hang on I'll go find it...
Soaking has to be done at room temp.
We just soak the grains overnight, then add the rest of the stuff in the morning.
For ease, soak in the blender then dump the rest in a hit the switch!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Ha-ha, OFG, you always get an A with me! Hey, I'm cutting the cheese today! Twice! Caerphilly and feta.

Thanks for the ideas, oldfashioned. I wonder if pancake batter can be "soaked" if not sourdough. Or will the pancakes be flat. How long can pancake batter sit before being cooked? Will it be good after 12 hours?
Soak your grains, and then use kefir and baking soda (no powder) for super fluffy cakes.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Steel cut Irish Oats in the crockpot... coconut flour pancakes, muffins, or shortbreads. I make crustless quiche in muffin tins. Those freeze well and heat up quick. My favorite flavor combo is mushroom, caramelized red onion, spinach and/or kale, parm and mozzarella.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Nice ideas! I like that cakepan one, BBrooks. Can you give me a better idea of proportions? Cooking time? No leavening agent? It sounds like a version of featherbed eggs, made with oatmeal instead of stale bread bits.

I do need some ideas for stuff that can be taken with and eaten cold, finger food. I'll be leaving at the crack of dawn for classes and I can't eat very early, but will be starving later! I usually have 20 oz of raw milk first thing and then eat mid-morning.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Nice ideas! I like that cakepan one, BBrooks. Can you give me a better idea of proportions? Cooking time? No leavening agent? It sounds like a version of featherbed eggs, made with oatmeal instead of stale bread bits.

I do need some ideas for stuff that can be taken with and eaten cold, finger food. I'll be leaving at the crack of dawn for classes and I can't eat very early, but will be starving later! I usually have 20 oz of raw milk first thing and then eat mid-morning.
Oh yeah, I do through in baking powder and soda...but I eyeball everything.
I know how much it is when it swells up. Maybe 6 cups of oats and 6-8 eggs?
This version of baked oatmeal is yummy cold with a glass of milk.
Make sure you put enough honey and fruit in it.
You can taste it prior to baking.

Eh. its different every time I make it :lol:

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
if you have access to sprouted corn tortillas, you can make breakfast burritios.
Pack one of those with a container of sour cream for dipping!
I like the combo of scrambled eggs onions and taters, seasoned with curry powder.

Hmmm, Bbrooks toddles off to make that for dinner... :drool

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
For make ahead breakfasts, I make egg muffins--mix eggs, shredded cheese, and chunked ham. (I use alot of ham and cheese and just kinda use the eggs to hold it all together) Mix together and put in muffin tins. Bake until set (insert toothpick to tell when done) Wrap individually and pop in toaster oven to reheat. for lunches, precut lettuce and veggies for a quick grab salad. Put dressing in small containers and mix up when you are ready to eat. Cut up all your veggies for veggie sticks, hard boil eggs and peel and keep in a container and grab as many as you need. Premix tuna, salad egg salad and chicken salad etc. I eat this as a salad, with no bread, for my kids, I put it on SD bread. Make soup once a week and keep in the fridge, heat some up and keep in a thermos until needed. I also make extra when I make french toast and pancakes and keep them in the fridge for aday or two. The kids heat them up in the toaster oven. That's all I got for now.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
These are all great ideas!

Still need more cold ones. I will not be able to re-heat as the classes will take place in a hotel conference room. I will bring a cooler and the breakfast will be my mid-morning break snack.

Hey, do you think I could heat up an egg sandwich and wrap it in foil and keep it warm for a couple hours in a preheated cooler? Maybe with a thermos of soup? Hmmm......I so rarely have to carry food with my anymore I'm out of practice!

The classes will be 8-5 and I am the type that needs good food to keep me going, snack won't do it. Because it is in Hartford, CT, I'll have to leave stinkin' early to beat the traffic, and then will be in traffic on my way home. So it will be more like 6:30-6:30 for me. No way I can eat before 6:30 AM!