Ideas for "office waste"?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Our home based business is picking up quickly (thankfully), unfortunately the boss man has a very wasteful system as far as paper work is concerned. I think we are pulling about 200 sheets of paper per week that will need to be recycled in one way or another.

The system can't be changed unfortunately, however any recycling ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have already made about 40 recycled paper note pads this week! (I have a paper cutter.) I have also turned the used paper over and re-ran it through the copier when I could. The rest will go to the recycle center next week.

Is it worth it to get a paper shredder? What can I use all that white shredded paper for, other than "animal bedding"? Can it be composted? Or is it better off in the recycle bin?

Thanks in advance for any of your ideas about green office practices.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sometimes if we have lots we use it under kindling either in our wood stove, or in the outside fire pit. It's not ideal, since it burns out pretty fast, but I solved that by balling it up really tightly. With the two businesses, we have plenty. I just googled this question, and look at some ideas! (All quoted from others)

I make bricks for our woodstove. I collect shredded paper from any sources I can. I put it in a giant tub and cover it with water. I let it absorb the water for about 3 or 4 days. Then I squeeze the paper together either by hand or using a mold made just for this purpose. Let them dry in the sun (in the summer) or on a tray near the woodstove (winter). I make as many any as can during the summer for winter use

I also use shredded paper on my garden compost heap and in the wormery to absorb excess moisture and to keep the worms from freezing in the winter months.

I am an art teacher and I LOVE to get shredded paper donations to use for stuffed paper art projects. Also good for other collage activities. Call your local elementary school!!

Check with your local animal shelter - They are happy to take ours!

Pulp it in the blender and make your own paper!

I guess, as a long shot, you could always name it something creative and try to sell it on eBay? Who knows
ETA: Nevermind, someone beat you to ebay! http://cgi.ebay.com/Shredded-Paper-...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c110654f5

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I take home the shredded paper from our office and sometimes from the local nursing home. It has been a great addition to my DL in the coop and has since then been placed on my garden.

We also used some to start fires this year but it was too messy by far.

I like the idea of the bricks of paper...what a great idea for recycling paper! :)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
If it is not 'sensitive' content and is printed only on one side, then I would bet you that there are families and daycare providers who would LOVE to have all that paper for kids to draw on. My two go through vast quantities of 'used' printouts, my husband is always having to bring more home from work.

If it needs to be shredded, it composts fine (in thin layers) if you mix it with high-nitrogen stuff like straight manure or *fresh* grass clippings.

Or you can do papier-mache projects :p

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:gig Now I cant get the image of a big brown papier-mache horse out of my head.

I literally just today ordered the brick maker and just got a whole bunch of paper soaking :)

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Paper-Log-briqu...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cefb3f26b

and it works GREAT... the paper logs really need to cure for 3 months or more to burn well in the fire but they do burn really well. It takes a surprising amount of paper to make one well compacted log (my machine only makes one log at a time).

I work for a newspaper and they don't recycle leftover copies... so I take home 200-300 newspapers a week and heat my house with the logs in the winter time :) This is my first full summer of making the logs, so I'm hoping to have 2 or 3 cord of 'paper' logs to burn along with the hardwood.