Ideas for Wormy Chestnut Boards?

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I bought 5 wormy chestnut boards from a dismantled barn several years ago.
They are 5' long x 10" wide x 1" thick. Still in the rough state, I did plane a small area on back to see how nice they clean up. They are gorgeous!
I am looking for a creative use for them. I already have wormy chestnut picture frames so I do not want more of those.

Any ideas?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Are you thinking of something for your home or for gifts?

Shelving was my first thought. Probably because I seem to never have enough :lol:

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
More for the home. That was what I told DH I was buying them for. Better stick with that plan, lol!

I had considered cabinet fronts when I thought I could get more from the seller. After I left, he put them on EBay and the whole lot sold immediately.

I don't want them to be buried under stuff so I can't see them, as in shelves. They go for $85 per board. :hide

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Could you use the chestnut for the casing (sides and top) and use a different wood for the actual shelves?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I had a counter top made from the wormy chestnut from my old house.....it was absolutely gorgeous! Why not a great coffee table? Or hall table? Or a mantle? Or......send them to me! :D

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Maybe you can use them to "frame" the kitchen cabinets. Oh, waite....that wont work....I tell ya what. Since you have no idea what to use them for....I will take em off your hands, for free! I wont even charge ya! :p

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I had a counter top made from the wormy chestnut from my old house.....it was absolutely gorgeous! Why not a great coffee table? Or hall table? Or a mantle? Or......send them to me! :D
Intriguing ideas (except for the last one, lol)! I assume the counter top was sealed and wonder what was used? Mine contains many holes.

Mantle is 10' long cherry crown molding and shelf made by Amish, so that's done.

I'm liking the counter top idea more and more. :love

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
justusnak said:
Maybe you can use them to "frame" the kitchen cabinets. Oh, waite....that wont work....I tell ya what. Since you have no idea what to use them for....I will take em off your hands, for free! I wont even charge ya! :p
Um, thanks. Are you suggesting that Bee was gonna charge me?!? :ep