Ideas on reusing coffe containers

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Not sure what coffee containers look like nowdays....how big, how big is the neck/opening, screw on or snap on lids?

hinkjc

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We made a chicken egg candler out of the metal Maxwell House one. You have to be careful using the plastic lid though, depending on what bulb you use, it can get hot. If you put a bit of aluminum foil inside the lid, it works great or use a low watt bulb.

We use the plastic ones (red Folger's) for feed scoops too. DH also uses them to collect his excess nails, screws, etc.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I used mine for feed scoops, and my youngest would grab one to gather eggs. We use the red Folger's as well. I also use them for loose objects around, and heck, who says you can't use them to put a Christmas gift in to wrap? We re-use boxes of all kinds, why not those?

I've also used them for the laundry soap before my MIL gave me a large ice cream container ( 2 gallon size) that had a lid and handle. Since you're using it for lint, how about to hold small bits of kindling? Or if you are breading something, put in your flour and whatever you're coating, put the lid on and SHAKE!! :) If you use powdered laundry soap (thats not the homemade kind) you could transfer it to those, or.......even the ocasional leftover as long as its gone in a day or 2. Heck, I could probably go on and on......pictures, receipts, money, ........

boggybranch

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I keep one in the shed (one that has the molded 'gripper handle') and fill it with ant killer when I am ready to treat fire ant bed.....less wasteful than trying to pour out of the sack and easier to handle.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
You can paint them to match your decor and use them in all kinds of different ways...cutlery holder for kitchen counter, kids rooms for legos and game pieces, piggy banks, bury money in them out in the yard...:lol:
reuse them to freeze cookies in...perfect portions when you have company coming...craft storage...pencils, markers etc., ...think painted containers and you'll come up with all kinds of uses.

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I used to use them to store veggie & flower seeds for planting in the spring and for storing dried beans/grains. I buy my coffee in bulk beans now (much cheaper!) and grind it myself (better flavor) so I don't have the cans anymore, but I save jars & plastic containers with lids.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
We also buy bulk beans and grind our coffee at home, but we go through a lot of coffee at work- the blue ones with the molded handles. I use them for carrying chicken food up from the barn and storing it in a big trash can in the chicken coop- one each for corn, sunflower seeds, layer pellets, and oats. I always have extras, so for the winter I am keeping 2 full ones of each in the trash can so I don't have to walk down to the barn as often to fill them.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
these ideas are great! thank you.

as far as buying in bulk,how would I go about finding a local place to do this? can't buy locally, 'cause who would grow coffee in Oklahoma??? :gig

we drink a lot of coffee (and Lord knows I have lots of containers) I could buy in bulk, grind and store.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Up here we have a couple of local coffee dealers- Green Mountain Coffee and Mocha Joe's- that you can buy beans from. Green Mountain is in our local supermarket.I don't think it is cheaper than Maxwell house or Folger's but it is fresher and tastes wonderful!