If I had more ducks.....

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
If I had 7 anconas and my 4 muscovies. Would they destroy the yard, because I would free range them all day, every day? I have a humoungous yard, 5 acres in total. Would that duck idea be a huge mistake?

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
At home there are currently around 20 ducks and 50+ chickens freeranging. They all hang out around the shed where they are fed, so no grass grows in a 30-40 foot radius of there, but otherwise they leave the rest of the yard, gardens, etc. alone.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I've got 7 in half a fenced in acre. It's no more messy than it was before ducks....

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Your yard would be perfectly fine, with alot less bugs. However. If you have any cement or concrete, decks or the like, or leave a garage door open, --expect it to be totally covered with duck poop. If you hphazardly cover you feed, expect your ducks to find it , uncover your measly attempt at covering it, and expect them to eat it, or dog food for that matter. And while they are eaitng the food they are not supposed to be eating, expect them to poop lots while they are doing it.. and if one of your muscovies goes goes broody, when she gets off the nest in the morning for he r breakfast and shower, expect a pie plate sized poop exactly where you would want it the least.--like right outside your door, and you don't see it as you head out to do the chores first thing in the morning, and you wipe out on it, and land flat on your behind, all covered in broody duck poo.

did I help? :lol:

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Your yard would be perfectly fine, with alot less bugs. However. If you have any cement or concrete, decks or the like, or leave a garage door open, --expect it to be totally covered with duck poop. If you hphazardly cover you feed, expect your ducks to find it , uncover your measly attempt at covering it, and expect them to eat it, or dog food for that matter. And while they are eaitng the food they are not supposed to be eating, expect them to poop lots while they are doing it.. and if one of your muscovies goes goes broody, when she gets off the nest in the morning for he r breakfast and shower, expect a pie plate sized poop exactly where you would want it the least.--like right outside your door, and you don't see it as you head out to do the chores first thing in the morning, and you wipe out on it, and land flat on your behind, all covered in broody duck poo.

did I help? :lol:
You helped tremendously. :gig

Latest posts