If the SHTF how will you feed your chickens?

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Does anyone store seed or gain for the girls?

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have 50 lbs of hard wheat and corn that could be used I suppose. I also would be giving them all table scraps and free ranging as much as safely possible. I would also butcher down to a minimum for eggs and eat the meat.

*ETA I try to stock a two month supply minimum for my critters, I always have double of what I need in a months time just for that reason.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't have chickens yet. If I were to have just 4, say Rhode Island Reds or similar, (am thinking Morans, actually) how much grain would I need for a month to keep egg production up wh.en free ranging is not possible due to climate issues?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I am replacing as much lawn as I can with white dutch clover. I also have red clover seeds I need to plant. I have duck weed growing in the pond as well as a small school of minnows I am hoping will reproduce. I need to get started on a worm bin. I have black oil sunflowers that volunteered and I am going to keep those going.

I do have small stash of wheat and other cereal grains but I don't have space to plant them right now. If TSHTF I might have to take them to one of our nearby ponds on a regular basis, but I am on the right path...I think :D

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I want to say around 50lbs of layer feed, feeds the pen I have four laying hens in a month. Two are red sexlinks and two GL Wyandottes. I have a Cuckoo Marans rooster who is a big pig but he is also a very BIG boy. I have one girl right now (I have to keep her separate due to she plucks everyones feathers even with proper protein, has done it since she was a baby ;) )I have been testing how little she can get by on and still keep laying. I have been throwing a handful twice a day of cracked corn to her only, she has no grazing on green grasses just ants and bugs. She is still laying everyday to my amazement. I am going to get back to feeding her regular laying mash soon but I wanted to know what it may be like to be in a situation where I did not have a lot of food for my girls.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I probably won't feed them much, until the deep winter. Good thing about living so far south is unless it is 12 degrees (and that's very rare) there is almost always something out there to eat. Mine have recently starting wandering off to scavenge before they finish their meal. If I didn't think they would attack me looking for treats, I'd see how they did on total free range.

Crickets, worms, mealworms all work for feed. Kitchen leftovers, milk the goat has stepped in and dried grasses. Scrambled eggs. Kefir that went too long, yogurt that got stringy or too sour. Stale bread.

I would love to get some boss to volunteer. I keep tossing a few of the seeds onto the various compost piles I have going & anywhere I turn up dirt. But so far, nothing.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I have two farmer friends, both have access to lots and lots of grains,(corn, wheat and beans) That plus table scraps, free ranging and feeding back a few eggs every once in awhile would do it just fine I think.

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Our chickens will be in good shape. We have lots of stored grains; wheat, corn, barley, even some soybeans. Also lucky for them, it never snows here, so there is always grass and other plants and bugs.

I worry more about my cat. He can catch an occasional sparrow, but wouldn't like living on rice and beans.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
One can get more bang for your buck from your grains by simply sprouting them...the sprouts contain more nutrients than the whole grain does, so one could extend your supply in this manner.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
One can get more bang for your buck from your grains by simply sprouting them...the sprouts contain more nutrients than the whole grain does, so one could extend your supply in this manner.
Thats a good idea, and true for people food too.

Thanks everybody. I'm getting the picture.

Now, next question. I have heard that if you feed your chickens flax seed that you will have eggs high in Omega 3. Does anyone know how much flax seed per day or month is required to get these quality eggs?

Latest posts