I'll be going Super off grid..I'm getting Solar

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So my house in the city is currently for sale and as soon as its sold I will be moving to my land and living in my barn that is 90% finished. I have started enquiring about prices for solar power and would like to get a Tesla power wall battery for it. I am a low power user and estimate I'm using maybe 5-6kw per day. My hot water will be from a wood burner with a wet back...and/or gas, cooking will be gas. My biggest power usage will be my deep freezer, fridge and starlink internet which I have to get. I would love to get away from monthly bills but internet is one of those things I must have. Being as rural as I am its really the only reliable option.
I will using a large generator in my barn/workshop for all my power tools once I have built my cabin and moved out of the barn.

My build site is just over 300 meters from the roadside, getting grid power connected in my country is stupid expensive, but even so I wouldn't want to be on the grid full stop as I don't want a monthly power bill..and screw the corporate trap system I want to be away from it !

Does anyone have much experience with Tesla power wall batteries ? I may also look at a wind turbine further down the line, but I have heard mixed reviews about them.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do you have cell phone access at you property? Is that less $$ than starlink?

Strange how now it's "off-grid" when it used to be just daily life.😁. Of course, back then no freezer or frig, just a cold spring or hole in a hillside. And no phones.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My ex’s grandparents had a Cervel propane gas refrigerator. Propane gas heater, single lightbulb in the center of the ceiling and maybe 2 wall outlets per room. We bought their place after his grandparents passed. The toilet came with a jug of antifreeze for sub freezing nights-to keep the tank from freezing and busting. :lol:

You are already living the life you love, part time. Congratulations on making the move to full time. Can you get a gas refrigerator and/or freezer in Australia?

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My son works at Tesla for over 10 years now, and for the last three, works in the power wall division. They are coming out with a new one very very shortly. Hang tight until then. He says they are amazing!

If power wasn't so cheap here in my town, I would consider it too. About 10K US dollars for an amazing piece of technology.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Modern deep freezers don't use much power, especially if you keep them pretty full. Fill jugs with water to fill space if the food gets low.