I'll be going Super off grid..I'm getting Solar

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Modern deep freezers don't use much power, especially if you keep them pretty full. Fill jugs with water to fill space if the food gets low.
The new ones are pretty efficient and come with a risk of fire or explosion warning label. I have two of them, here's info on C5H10 refrigerant

What else can I say?
IMG_20230214_154712531.jpg

IMG_20230214_154647400.jpg

Jesus is Lord a s Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The new ones are pretty efficient and come with a risk of fire or explosion warning label. I have two of them, here's info on C5H10 refrigerant

What else can I say?
View attachment 22715

View attachment 22716

Jesus is Lord a s Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Looks like a California warning. Everything will kill you or cause cancer there. Or they pass laws about flammability that make cushioned furniture have so many chemicals in them that they cause cancer.

It's the dishwashers and clothes dyers that really sneak up and burn your house down.

Many refridgerants have a fire risk. Of course so does a bottle of rubbing alcohol or a butane lighter. Don't rupture the refridgerant lines with something that sparks.

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
There is cell phone coverage, it's not great but enough to receive calls and ring out, phone monthly is pretty cheap so thats no issue. I will get Starlink. I will be getting rid of my fridge and buying a 120 litre ice box..We call them Chilly bins, that will be for milk/cheese etc, bit of fruit. I will also look at building a root cellar into the hill as there is plenty of room to do that.

I will no doubt do a video for my YouTube channel when I get the solar rigged up and just what devices I have drawing power etc.

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My ex’s grandparents had a Cervel propane gas refrigerator. Propane gas heater, single lightbulb in the center of the ceiling and maybe 2 wall outlets per room. We bought their place after his grandparents passed. The toilet came with a jug of antifreeze for sub freezing nights-to keep the tank from freezing and busting. :lol:

You are already living the life you love, part time. Congratulations on making the move to full time. Can you get a gas refrigerator and/or freezer in Australia?
You mean New Zealand 😜🤣. Yes there are gas refrigerators here but I honestly dont think I will need one, I must have a deep freezer due to how much I hunt and store meat/fish. There is very little I have in my fridge at the moment..Benefits of being a pure meat eater I guess, take it out the freezer leave to defrost, eat and repeat.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I paid my deposit for StarLink last fall. It will be about a year or two before one of their satellites becomes available to my slice of the larger metropolis of the big city.

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
From the people I have spoken to here in NZ that have it they are blown away by the speed and reliability of Starlink.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had satellite TV and a different satellite for internet in Lindale. Here I still have satellite TV, but a land phone line for internet. It’s $50 cheaper than satellite internet. The land phone line is for 911. I can receive calls on it, but if I call out, it’s fifty cents a call. I use my cell phone for calls.

Does Starlink do both TV and internet?

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Starlink only does Internet. I have Century Link again, now. Its slow DSL. It especially slows down in the afternoon when the load is heavier.

Once you have extremely fast internet, then one can stream TV, using YouTube, Hulu, and others with terrific speed and clarity.

I have Netflix and Prime and it hiccups sometimes, due to Century Link.