I'll be going Super off grid..I'm getting Solar

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I shall be making one of those as well 😆. There is a rising hill above my build site.

i've always thought it made perfect sense and then i've also been around places with leaky walls and floors, so drainage is a very important consideration. exterior retaining wall, gap and then raised up interior floor so there is always drainage around and out. :) good luck, study and plan carefully.

also, you don't want the hillside coming down on your hard work. gravity always wins at least until we find out that black holes explode or something...

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Grams was dug into the hillside, log supports, stone walls, a roof that was covered back with the soil. Heavy shelving on either side, part of support structure. Yep, a cellar dug into a hillside. High enough things kept running downhill...😁. Rustic, very efficient. It's what people did in that lifetime for preservation. Corn cribs, smokehouses, hay lofts, haystacks, outhouses....all just day to day life. Big old crocks of kraut, pickles, etc out there. Jars & jars of canned foods. Much of their meats were hunted....venison, rabbit, possum, squirrel, turkey. Raise a hog sometimes...maybe have or share a milk cow. Oil lamps. No power. Only solar was the sun itself. 🤣 Whole different life.

They raised 7 kids. Very little in way of jobs. No equipment except hand tools. Plow horse to break ground for garden, pull wagons, etc. Amazing really.

Last edited:

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Plenty of space to make an in ground root cellar there somewhere.

Attachments

• IMG_7359.jpeg
    IMG_7359.jpeg
    398.8 KB · Views: 79

Latest posts