Illusions- how do they work?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Okay this isn't a joke or game but we don't have a random thread, and this was closest :p

My question is however, how do illusions work? We watch America's Got Talent every Summer, and they have some magicians on there usually. They do outlandish things, things that outside of pure magic I do not understand. Last year, one made a car appear. Then one this evening one made another person appear. How do ya'll think they work?

:pop

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
They play off of how the brain processes visual objects. There are lots of different tricks. If you know how vision works, and understand how the brain processes things, you can usually find "loopholes" for lack of a better word, where the brain will not/can not process the information accurately. It's kind of like the way your eyes can mistake heat waves coming off of pavement for a body of water.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Interesting WBF :pop

I know that it has to be it, but some of them are just extreme!

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Its magic! ;)

I love the good ones that have you going " whoa, how the heck did they do that????"

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
They had a magician at the one church I attended one time and I watched real close to see how they did their tricks. At that point in time, I was doing a bit of clowning, and was thinking about adding some magic tricks. Another person couldn't get over the one trick and couldn't figure out how they did it. I told them, "Oh, that was easy", and proceeded to explain how the trick was done. I almost got done my explanation when I saw the magician listening to me so I turned to them and said, "Right?". They confirmed that that was how the trick was done.