I'm a tortilla shell failure- any good ideas?

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I roll mine out on my lightly floured counter - and I lift and flip & turn as I go so the tortilla doesn't stick. My counter top is linoleum with a slight "texture" and it works okay.

eta: btw, what recipe are you using?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I used the counter too before I got my press. Good tip on "lift and flip and turn" TVB.

Yeah, what recipe? Better yet, what are you filling it with? :drool

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
BBH, try the link I posted earlier - it has a great recipe (I like this one, anyway) for Sonoran Style Tortillas, as well as a chewy style if you prefer a little thicker tortilla, and also a corn tortilla recipe.
Just a fun little fact: Corn tortillas traditionally are made with Maize and water - no other ingredients. They are the only "bread" type food that can be reconstituted, ground up, and dried back into thier original form, corn meal.

eta: I don't know where I heard that - food channel, maybe? In any event, I bet someone will come along and in some way prove me wrong!!! Hopefully, I will learn something new today! :lol:

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Tortilla presses are really easy to make--just two peices of smooth wood hinged together. There are instructions floating around on the web. that said, I haven't made one yet. I use a regular rolling pin, and keep the flour jar right beside me. dust the counter and your rolling pin. Roll, turn, repeat. ad flour as needed.

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A tortilla press is on my "what I want to find at the Goodwill" list. My cousin is Mexican and she made all of her tortillas on it. I don't think she made flour tortillas though. Just some masa, a little salt, and some water. Oh my heck, they were good.