I'm already ready for spring.....

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
because we have new opportunities for vast farm improvements opening up to us and a million new projects that we've discussed, that I do not want to have to wait for spring!!

First, Dh is getting a new storage barn for all his tools, etc. and putting it closer to the house so things are easier for him to get to without having to walk across the property. (but he said not until spring.)

Second, he's giving me his OLD barn for my poultry ventures!

There is so much potential in this barn for me - it already has electric, so I can put a safe electric heater out there in winter. Has a ceiling light that. Has shelving units that can be re-vamped into chick brooders PLUS the very TOP shelf can be used to store extra feeders, waters, heat lamps, bulbs, etc. I can easily add on to the side of the barn for a chick grow out pen. Plenty of space under the shelving to become brooders area to store galvanized cans of feed!

Third, we're building another coop 16x20 that will be divided into individual breeding pens with a walkway down the center of the pens. This will allow me to keep breeds separated year round, instead of combining the breeds in the winter to cut down on outdoor winter chores. This way, I'll be IN side the coop feeding and watering :)

Fourth, we're selling our black angus heifer in a week. That gives the pasture time to recover and us time to rip down the old buildings and broke down fencing and clean up the area. Then we'll build a temporary 3 sided barn to house the Nubian milk goat I have coming in the spring AND it should be big enough for E to get 2 feeder calves in spring (not bottle babies).

Fifth, E said we'll get a compost tumbler! I'm so excited for this!

So, for Christmas I have asked for an air compressor and nail guns/staple guns to use with the air compressor. I also hope to spend the winter months purchasing and stockpiling the hardware, wire, and fencing I'll be needing for my spring chicken projects.

Also hoping that some of the planned projects can be worked on through the winter as money allows, so that I don't have to wait until spring! Especially if the weather holds and isn't TOO nasty this winter!

I don't know what I am more excited for!!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hmmmm :hu I admit that I haven't been keeping up on things, but didn't I read, not all that long ago, that you were getting out of the poultry business?
I don't know .... maybe it was someone else?

:gig

:hugs

Roll on Spring!! (For you; I'm ready to do a bit of hibernating for a little while)

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
I thought you were getting out of chickens, too! Glad to hear you are actually going to have room for many!!!!!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Aly out of the bird business?? Maw, I think she was a chicken in a former life.

Sounds like you will be busy. Good thing baby won't be walking yet. :lol:

G

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
I actually did DOWNSIZE a lot. :)

I have 4 breeds - Sumatras, Blue Laced Red Wyandottes, Mille Fleur d'Uccles, and my DD has Mottled Cochin Bantams.

I sold off all the call ducks. I do have muscovy still and a pair of mallards.

Part of it is knowing that financially things have changed for us, and it shouldn't be a struggle anymore to provide feed for my poultry addiction. :p

I chose to vastly downsize my numbers, so that if/when we do decide we want to go off farm for a family vacay, then there's not too many chores here for whomever we find to take care of things for us.

I honestly don't think I'll ever completely be out of chickens :p I've tried - they are too addicting!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I am too!!!

1. The Garden, we will have it finally fixed the way we want it with plenty of room for crops that usually dont do good for us. We have re done our methods and hopefully we will have mass harvests.

2. Chickens, will finally be fixed the way we want them and hopefully be completely SS with them.

3. The MOST important one, we should have our Milk Cow in late spring!! This will lead to hog to raise in the winter and our own beef calf!!! :D

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Oh the garden!!!!!!! I think I might have E talked into fencing it in! (maybe) Don't know for sure.

But, we're transplanting the blueberry bushes and planning to add more blueberry bushes comes spring.

E already trasnplanted his rhubarb, and we hope to expand that next year, too.

Strawberries were transplanted to the raised bed, too.

I need that compost tumbler NOW because we have TONS of manure to compost and use over winter to get the soil ready for spring planting!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:ya I read that title and thought, WINTER first darn it, then spring. I am also ready for spring. I would gladly give up every winter day after Dec. 25 in a heartbeat to jump straight into spring!! :tongue to winter. Warm weather gal here!

WOW on the projects. You will be in full gear...better get some rest over winter. You'll need it :lol: