I'm back

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I had to take a break. Life was getting hectic and SS was the last thing on my mind. It's slowing down now and I'm ready to be inspired.

Update:
*Don't have the wool/meat rabbits now. I have a neutered pet rabbit. My son has a little girl rabbit too.
*Do have my service dog. Winter coming means more time stuck inside spent training. Also means more outtings and meeting with other service dog handlers in shopping malls, stores, restaurants. Cost some $ but worth it, IMO.
*Getting some garden produce now and buying less produce. I'm happy to have grown spaghetti squash which stay close to $1/lb all year!
*My everbearing strawberry bed (new this year) is finally producing. Not that any of them make it into a bowl, much less the house!
*I'm ONLY buying food grown and made in USA. Went shopping with my son and we talking about it. Showing him "USA" on the packages. Unfortunately store brands only say "distributed from". I have to remember to bring my phone with me and call the companies while I am in the store.
*I am re-upholstering the couch. Big project, going smoothly.
*We haven't been cooking. We had a summer with lots of Mac-n-cheese and frozen pizzas.
*My fiance is seriously considering buying a cow (freshly dead cow). He might wait for next year's fair so he can go to the carcass show.

Will someone please inspire me? I need some direction, some baby steps. Something interesting.

And no chickens. :(

On another note: we've always talked about getting a little farm. But I'm pretty settled in here. We have a big yard and plenty of space to expand our garden. So much blood, sweat, tears invested here it's hard to think of moving. We have some really good neighbors which make staying here very attractive! Someday I'll breed meat rabbits again. We couldn't have chickens now, but a neighbor is on city council. :) I'm in no rush for chickens. More thinking about growing the garden and making it produce more.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Sounds like you need a greenhouse :D Spaghetti squash and strawberries year round :drool

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Been thinking you were missing from here, welcome back! What about aquaculture? I think there is great possibilities and a fun learning experience for your son ;) I am homeschooling this year and will be purchasing supplies for our science class doing this...
As for more inspiration it sounds like you are already doing a lot!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Inspiration? You could certainly do cold frames. Now is the time to set them up, and get the hardy greens growing. All you need is an old patio glass door, a few straw or hay bales that are older and a bunch of milk jugs painted black.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
tortoise said:
I had to take a break. Life was getting hectic and SS was the last thing on my mind. It's slowing down now and I'm ready to be inspired.
Welcome back!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
bbrooks - can you show me some alaska cold frames? I'm not convinced that they'd be worth it. I'm in WI, zone 4.