Im so depressed about this garden....HELP

eggrookie2010

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So here is the crazy thing. Ive been here in the hills since last July. Transplant from the city. I was a Fresno County Ag Ambassador to the school district setting up community gardens in lower income schools. I was a rockin' gardener. And now I find myself such a rookie with a whole host of new challenges such as high winds, lots more rain, plant dates 2 months later, bugs Ive never dealt with and gophers from hell. AND I planted fruit trees for the first time...10 of them and berries and grapes. So Im a "new rookie". And of course my first ever chickens. Nothing like jumping in with both feet huh?

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Many garden plants have a rather narrow range of acceptable night-time temperatures for them to set fruit. With all the things that can go wrong, it's a wonder we can get anything to do well! It's always a miracle, to me.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Try gardening in Wisconsin and then moving to Colorado! LOL Took me YEARS to stop randomly killing things! :gig

eggrookie2010

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Here is my very pretty but not very productive garden...I just took this at noon.
2961_july13_004.jpg

When we bought the house we jackhammered holes in the pool, filled it with dirt (it was trashed) and that is now my pumpkin and melon patch..which is in the back of the house.

eggrookie2010

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The evil gophers dont get in the pool...it has nice edging, concrete all around...perfect! The only bummer is the drip has a garden hose that runs across the concrete. I have to disconnect it when the little ones want to ride bikes etc

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Nice pic - I love the pool garden too.
I found a vole hole at the edge of my potato patch - :barnie I might have lots of potato plants and no spuds underneath.

If you haven't been over fertilizing your garden, it might just be a crappy year in your area. Last year I didn't get a ripe tomato until two weeks before our first frost. Lousy gardening year. Yet years ago, I had a bumper crop of everything!