Improving cast iron skillets

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We recently had to replace our kitchen cooking range. We have had propane for ever and thought we would try one of those fancy-schmancy glass-top electric ranges. What a mistake!

Anyway, I have noticed that our cast iron skillets do not heat up as well as before. I have inspected several of our cast iron things and found that some have a ridge or edge around the perimeter of the bottom. I found that some have this ridge and some do not.

DSC03107-1.jpg

This ridge keeps the bottom of the cast iron items from coming in contact with the hot surface of the range. Of course the radiant heat does work to some extent but full contact would make it more efficient.

So I selected three of our skillets that have the ridge and marched out to the barn to perform a ridge-ectomy.

In the next pic I have lightly hit the ridge with a grinder to highlight the ridge.

DSC03108.jpg

In the next pic I show the finished ridge-ectomy. Removal of the ridge does not harm the functionality of the skillets and the now-flat bottoms make good contact with the glass top range.

DSC03106.jpg

This would also improve the cast iron skillet performance on cooking griddle tops too.

We still do not like the glass electric range. Gas cooking rocks!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
BOO to new technology. Movin up? Says who?! I'd rather have my cast iron than some stupid stove ;)

Good job on the remod :D :thumbsup

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love my glass top.... It's SO easy to clean! :hide So far all my cast iron, and I have collected a lot! all works great on it. In fact I rarely use my $600 waterless stainless steel cooking set anymore!

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I sure don't like our new glass cook top. With the pulsing giving inconsistent heat, it is so hard to judge where to set the dial. Also, the glass shows every spot , and grease just smears around and around. I shoulda got the gas, I shoulda got the gas, I shoulda got the gas. And now this thing will probably last forever.....Hm....not if I accidentally drop a big hammer from ceiling height;)

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I HATED my glass top! I traded it off for a propane range two years ago. NOW , I can can my garden stuff inside the house, instead of outside on the portable two burner stove.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
so lucky said:
I sure don't like our new glass cook top. With the pulsing giving inconsistent heat, it is so hard to judge where to set the dial. Also, the glass shows every spot , and grease just smears around and around. I shoulda got the gas, I shoulda got the gas, I shoulda got the gas. And now this thing will probably last forever.....Hm....not if I accidentally drop a big hammer from ceiling height;)
I agree. I wanted gas - no gas connection, would've had to get a tank, etc. I hate my glass top. Hubby thinks he's Emeril and stands in there sliding that skillet around and now the top is ruined. :he I can't get it clean - and since he fries everything - there's grease everywhere. Oh well, I shouldn't complain - he does cook!

Dirk Chesterfield

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Nice modification. It's good to see ingenuity in the face of adversity.

That said, I hate glass tops too.

Me man. Man only cook on fire. Ugh!
Only fire make good meat. Only fire be NASA hot.

chickenone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
CrownofThorns said:
I love my glass top.... It's SO easy to clean! :hide So far all my cast iron, and I have collected a lot! all works great on it. In fact I rarely use my $600 waterless stainless steel cooking set anymore!
OOh send them to me, then!

I am still using the stainless steel pans I bought when I was 18. I am going to be 54 next month. Time for a change!

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dirk Chesterfield said:
. . . Me man. Man only cook on fire. Ugh!
Only fire make good meat. Only fire be NASA hot.
Ha! I notice that we cook outside on the grill more than ever since we got the stupid glass stove.

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
chickenone said:
CrownofThorns said:
OOh send them to me, then!

I am still using the stainless steel pans I bought when I was 18. I am going to be 54 next month.[b/] Time for a change!

LMAO... Those pans for me are long gone!( I'm a bit older than you) I'm using my cast Iron and the cook wear I inherited from my mom and grandma!

Ok, I've been stuck using electric stoves for years and I hated it! :rant I was told when we bought a house I could get a gas stove :ya well, the house came with an almost new electric stove! :th I planed on selling it and getting a gas one, then my son was saying how great his glass top was and almost had me convinced... after reading this.... forget it!!!!:tongue I'm looking for gas!