In Love w/SIL's Dehydrator...But How Do I Clean?

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I borrowed my SIL's dehydrator to dehydrate some tomatoes. Not really sure why she bought a dehydrator, considering she doesn't even cook...but I digress AND I get to borrow it ;)

Well it was brand-new when I used it last night, white and sparkling...now, it has red stains all over it from the tomatoes. It seems like such a pain to clean, considering all the nooks and crannies. How do you guys clean your dehydrator trays? I want to make sure I return it in top-condition...cuz I plan on borrowing it soon for apples :D

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
What kind is it? I have the round kind from Walmart, and I just throw those trays in the dishwasher. I have tried several times to hand wash them, but it made me crazy!

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I haven't done tomatoes on mine (yet) however when I do jerky I do rub a little oil or something on it before the meat goes on, and then the trays get tossed in the dishwasher.

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
my dehydrator has square trays and their about 18x18... so too big for a dishwasher.. but the pastic they are made from is WONDERFUL. I could probably get away without using dish soap.. really!

Mine just rinse off... I usually go half at a time, then scrub them so no germies live on.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't know if this will work on dehydrator plastic, but I have been able to remove tomato stains from plastic bowls by soaking them overnight in water with automatic dishwasher detergent.

My dehydrator has square plastic trays that are easy to rinse off. Then square plastic mesh sits on the trays. I just curl those to fit in the sink and give them a swish in a sink full of soapy water. They do have tomato stains, but since it belongs to me, I just ignore that.