In need of a cherry syrup recipe

onebuggirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We picked over 30lbs of cherries and have a ton of juice I don't want to waste. Anyone have a good syrup recipe?!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
From Carla Emery's book
For every 2c juice add 1 3/4 c sugar. Boil 15 minutes. Skim & put into sterilized bottles. Bottle hot and seal or cork, making sure the bottles are airtight. Because syrups may ferment after being open for 2 or 3 days, use small bottles.

I boil it down to the density I think looks right. Homemade syrup is soo much better than storebought. It actually tastes like the fruit you use. I always refrigerate the syrup after opening.

onebuggirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
FarmerDenise Thanks so much I can't wait to try this! I agree that homemade is always better and tastes like the fruit it is suppose to be. I will try thi either tomorrow or this week soon. Thanks again.
I love the feeling of being as self sufficient as I can...food is healthier....less processed...lower sodium and packed full of....What's the word....Oh yeah...FLAVOR!!!!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
We have loads of blackberries, so I make a few bottles of blackberry syrup every year. We had a bottle of storebought that was left by a friend and decided to use it up. Yech!!. We threw it out instead, but saved the bottle. :lol: