In need of fruit trees and vines

Maschil

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hey friends. Hope all is well. Basically im looking to start a small farm... Right now it will probably an acre big...My grandfather planted some nut and fruit trees, but i want to expand and have a bigger variety.

I know of atleast two good places to buy fruit trees on groworganics.com and http://ediblelandscaping.com/

I like grow organics for the most part but pomegranate, kiwi's, apricots, and must are there trees are a bit to much for me ($20 c.bucks apiece), but i like there price for grape vines, blackberries, raspberries, currants etc......

I like ediblelandscaping for their variety..and prices..as well. But i am wondering if you all know of any other nurseries, that ship fruit trees.

Basically im looking for

pomegranates
Currants
Hardy Kiwi's
An olive tree
apples
apricots.

all types of fruit to be honest..

I live in Zone 8a, in Central Mississippi. Thanks alot...

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
8a may be too cold and wet for olives. However, there is a guy in south Texas growing olives for olive oil and I thing you aught to be able to google "Texas olives" and track him down. He also sells olive trees.

I think persimmons would do well also. Check out Lowes in January or early February for what they have-- sometimes there are some real good deals to be had.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Don't forget to check out local nurseries and possible feed/farm & ranch stores for the plants you are interested in. ;)

We are fortune enough to have two feed places that sell fruit and nut trees/bushes and fruiting vines, not to mention almost half a dozen nurseries that do too. :cool:

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Also check out the local nurseries at the end of the season they may reduce the trees. I wait and get mine in the fall for 60% off and its a good time to plant trees and vines in zone 5 where I'm located.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I too vote local. Most people don't seem to know that you can grow a tree just about anywhere but having it bear fruit is another matter. I am in zone 7b and lots of people have apple trees for the bloom but they require peroids of chilling to set fruit. Some need to go dormant to "rest up" [like how well do you work after only 2 hours of sleep?] the local places will know what will work in your area and the more local the better because there are all kinds of 'micro climates' in any area. For example some will do much better on the sunny side of a hill than they will do on the other side, vallies vs hill tops, upwind or down wind, soil and water all play a part. And don't be scared of graftrd trees usually a good producer grafted to a great root stock. Sooner or later you are going to need the advise of a local nurseryman so start looking now. Trees are a long term investment you are usually time and money ahead by not shoping for bargains. Stay AWAY from big box stores, todays expert might have been selling carpets a month ago! ~gd [a fruit farmer's son]

Maschil

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ill try some more nurseries in the area... but most of them have been priced severely higher... then ones from groworganics or edible landscape... for example grow organics has blackberries for 10 bucks for 2, my local one had 1 for 27 bucks................

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i like raintreenursery.com too! :)

Maschil

Power Conserver
Reaction score
pinkfox said:
i like raintreenursery.com too! :)
i checked them out..how are they for you? it seems they are a bit more than some of the other places i have been online.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Maschil,
I remember reading on a thread about clearing acreage that you have woods. How thick is your timber and what size? Do you have several lots, one acre or several acres? Do you need to clear land before you can plant your trees? Map out your property and where you want to plant your trees, vines, build a barn and whatever else you are planning. Be sure to allow grow room between the trees so they won't be too crowded. You can graze goats or sheep in the orchard, but you better have a Fort Knox fence built around your trees or the livestock will have yummies in their tummies!