In need of sewing stuff

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey all-- I'm doing farmer's market again this year, and I've been looking up little crafty stuff to make and sell.
Here's some stuff I'm looking for, if you have any you'd like to part with.

Cotton fabric--especially brights/solids for quilts. scraps okay
Flannel fabric--especially modern brights and solid colors. Mainly for baby quilts, scraps okay
Felt-- Any colors, scraps included
Thread-- Especially bright colors.
Buttons to match fabric
yarn to match fabric

I don't have a lot of cash money to spend, but I've got a little. Or I could trade you something...
I've got a tremendous amount of fancy fabrics, like satins, velvet, brocades, etc that I've collected up for crazy quilting. Some pieces are quite large.
I could send vegetable seeds from some of the packets I have purchased this year. I never get them used up quick enough. I've got several different tomatoes, melon, squash etc.
I do have a mixed up flock of chickens, but I don't know about shipping. I know a box of 6 well packed eggs costs $11 priority mail, and I've never tried sending eggs before. You'd be getting a "grab bag" of eggs from my flock!
I also have a lot of clear quartz crystals from Arkansas. The little ones would be good for jewelry making and such.

Send me a PM if you are interested. :D

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I do that sometimes. Our local goodwill almost NEVER has any decent fabric scraps, and the prices on clothes are getting kinda HIGH. I mean really, $3 for a used blouse?

Thanks for the tip though, I think one of my local shops has a 1/2 price sale on clothes right now.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Another good place to look is Freecycle. In our area, all sorts of goodies are posted.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes, freecycle. In my old town, I gave away several lots of fabrics.

I might add to check Wal Mart for their remnants. Sometime even those go on clearance. I bought 3/4 yd of gorgeous mexican paver color heavy fabric for a valance I'm gonna make - $0.50. What a steal!

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have a store here called FabricVille... they have a bargain wall with hundreds of bolts of fabric that are all marked at $1/yard... then they go on sale for 'Buy one, Get two free' so you end up with three yards of fabric for $1.00

I have TONS of yards of that stuff... but I mostly bought suitings for making business clothes out of so I don't really have any quilting stuff.

Maybe you could check fabric stores near you for stuff like that?

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
If you're going to be sewing alot - you might look to joining a co-op. I used to on a few of them when I was sewing diapers to sell, they're email groups (I think it was through Yahoo groups) where one person would order the whole bolt from the manufacturer, then you pay for the yardage you want at cost price, plus a fee for cutting it to the person who has to cut up all the bolts and mail them out.

It worked out amazingly cheap for me to buy my fabrics that way..

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips everybody! I do get remnants from walmart, when they have them. Our local freecycle site stinks! There's very few people who use it, and the same guy posts the same thing over and over.

I spent some time yesterday looking at www.etsy.com and found many sellers with large bags of really nice scraps for sale. I would highly recommend it to you all who are looking for neat stuff to make. There's another one called www.cutoutandkeep.net that has TONS of cool ideas an how to make them for free!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I was working for a dry cleaner when they shut down. The owner let me take ALL THE BUTTONS!

So if you need a bunch, lemme know LOL. I have a huge plastic bin full of buttons.

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
Whatcha making????
Maybe we can swap. I have tons of fabric, buttons, trim..............