In praise of the canning jar..............

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
As I was vacuum packing some stuff in some canning jars, I was taken with what useful items they are.
I vacuum pack for storage, use them as containers for leftovers, have put candles in them, use them for decoration (I'm still taken with country kitchen look,) have used them to hold gifts, as holders for donations at charity raffles, have buried a house key somewhere in the yard in one.

I used to can of course but don't so that now.

What other uses for these little gems of self-sufficiency?

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
As I was vacuum packing some stuff in some canning jars, I was taken with what useful items they are.
I vacuum pack for storage, use them as containers for leftovers, have put candles in them, use them for decoration (I'm still taken with country kitchen look,) have used them to hold gifts, as holders for donations at charity raffles, have buried a house key somewhere in the yard in one.

I used to can of course but don't so that now.

What other uses for these little gems of self-sufficiency?
I've got one that holds sand and shells from a beach vacation. I use them for candles too as well as storing dry foods on counters and shelves. They really are quite nice to look at!

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I buy a lot of bulk items, like rice, lentils, trail mix, cereal, pasta, and rather than trying to store 10 lb. bags of these things in my kitchen, I use canning jars to hold a smaller quantity and hide the giant bulk boxes and bags in a funny place in our house! Canning jars are also an important part of my yogurt making process. They're also great for canning! :p

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
good for temporary tadpole observation 'aquaria' :)

Also I have a bunch of jars with chipped rims (thus no longer useful for canning) that I store nails and screws in. (I've wrapped them with duct or packing tape so that in the event that I break a jar, which presumably I someday will, being me :p, the pieces will not go all over).

And of course there are those mason-jar chick waterers and feeders.

Pat

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
And the widemouth jars make great drinking glasses!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
annmarie said:
And the widemouth jars make great drinking glasses!
YES they do!!!!

We have been buying tomato sauce and peaches from the store that come in canning jars and then keep the jars to reuse around the house.

I think everyone has pretty much listed off what we use ours for ;)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot! I get goat's milk from my vet in exchange for eggs. His wife puts the milk in canning jars. :cool:

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I forgot- I have a bunch of pint sized ones with soup in indiviual portions in the freezer- I just take them out as needed and put them in fridge to thaw out.

big bertha

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Can I please ask how you vacuum pack things in a canning jar? (Other than the normal canned goods of fruits, veggies etc.) I keep seeing this but am unsure of the process. Thanks

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I've seen canning jars used instead of 'proper' glass covers for barn or porch lights (I remember seeing it and being struck by 'mason' upside down on the side, I just can't remember exactly WHERE I saw it or when).

If I bought a jar-sealing attachment without owning a vacuum sealer, could I rig some other thing to pull a vacuum on it to seal jars with, do you think?

Pat