in search of .... wholesome pecan pie recipe :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My son has requested pecan pie for his birthday, which is on Wednesday, and all my searches for recipes call for corn syrup, etc.

Any wholesome recipes out there????

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Nonsense! ;) I just want it to have wholesome ingredients--sans corn syrup, etc (insert other sweet ingredient here___________. ) since I am not an eperienced pecan pie baker, I don't know whether honey or maple syrup could be substituted.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Hmmm... wholesome.... I have a recipe somewhere that uses praline liquor. I don't remember if it was actually wholesome, but after a few slices, I'm sure that you wouldn't care. :cool:

I'm sorry, as to your original question, my wife has a number of "healthier cooking" type cookbooks, and I'll take a look and see if they have anything.

ETA: The best that I could come up with was to replace the corn syrup with the same measure of honey. Hope that this helps.

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here's what you do. Make the crust with whole grains and lard (I'm very fond of spelt personally), or do an almond crust. Use real butter and thank heaven that corn syrup is not the same as high fructose corn syrup. Eat a lot of pecans while making the pie. Wish your son a happy birthday. Watch him eat it. ;)