In your opinion - ducks or rabbits for 1st meat animal?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Bethanial said:
I do eventually want turkeys, also. But for a 1st meat animal, I'd think staying small would be in my best interest.
I dunno, turkeys are totally no more difficult than chickens or ducks. Easier than ducks in a lot of ways, because there is not the issue of water and mess. And you can raise just a couple of them as an initial trial and get LOTS of meat out of it.

Sorry, I just think turkeys are da bomb as "small meat livestock" :p

Pat
Can I totally freerange turkeys like I can chickens? Or do they need to be in a fenced in enclosure? That is the only thing I'm not sure about.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I do not believe it is legal in Ontario to free range turkeys. Although, <shrug>, you know :p

I've had the big broadbreasted ones loose in a reasonably-well-fenced horse pasture. They couldn't meaningfully fly by that point so they were kinda stuck there and had a good attitude about it. "Real" turkeys would not stay put so well though.

My intention/hope is to try free-ranging some of mine (which by now are real rather than BB) next year, out of the horse barn... but I don't know how well it will work. People say they go all over the place.

Pat

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I am sure three strands of electric, sufficiently closely spaced and low, would have kept Larry Moe and Curly (last year's BBB's) well confined once they were Of A Size. But, when they were young or for the "real" turkeys I have now, no way Jose.

Pat

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
turkeys are kinda true forgarers

they do wander over a broad range of terrain, like grazing animals do ya know.....a wild turkey flock just travels a good bit of the day, so I would think a domestic turkey would have that wander instinct also.

not sure tho, I never had loose turkeys around lol

chickens are more homebodies while I would think a turkey would venture out more? maybe???? :/

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Im sorta where you are at. I have ducks and rabbits both plus chickens. But havent done meaties yet. Meat chickens are next. Im also doing meat ducks off of the babies my scovies reproduce this spring. The meat rabbits are third in line. Maybe next fall for them.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The flying can be an issue. Another good point for Welsh Harlequins. They fly like bricks :D

Scovies are good flyers but are quiet.

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Y'all have given lots of great info for me to mull over! I just love this place ;)

I'm kinda leaning towards ducks - don't have to worry about the individual cages, etc, at least not for now :p

Soil here is pretty good (I live in farming country), so it doesn't matter that the duck poo has to be composted first before it's usable - I'll just be glad for critter poo that I can (eventually) use on plants :lol:

Turkeys, I'm just not sure about - maybe eventually? I do understand what you're saying about more meat for essentially the same amount of work. And I know me well enough to know that I'd want a heritage breed. We also have plenty of wild turkeys that (when I was a smoker) goobled at me quite loudly from the edge of the woods - couple/three football fields away - when I would go outside last turkey season to smoke. I'm assuming they're still there, even though I'm not hearing them on a regular basis every morning :lol:

Keep the thoughts coming though :hugs

Oh! How hard is it to clip those feathers?

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
turkeys are kinda true forgarers

they do wander over a broad range of terrain, like grazing animals do ya know.....a wild turkey flock just travels a good bit of the day, so I would think a domestic turkey would have that wander instinct also.

not sure tho, I never had loose turkeys around lol

chickens are more homebodies while I would think a turkey would venture out more? maybe???? :/
They go wherever the food is. They come to our front door and beg for food. They also run in packs. They are funny to watch chasing the cats and dogs around. Kind of like geese. I have 8 ft fences. Once they figure out how to climb out they are impossible to keep in.

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
I do not believe it is legal in Ontario to free range turkeys. Although, <shrug>, you know :p

I've had the big broadbreasted ones loose in a reasonably-well-fenced horse pasture. They couldn't meaningfully fly by that point so they were kinda stuck there and had a good attitude about it. "Real" turkeys would not stay put so well though.

My intention/hope is to try free-ranging some of mine (which by now are real rather than BB) next year, out of the horse barn... but I don't know how well it will work. People say they go all over the place.

Pat
We have Bourbons and White Midgets. The Toms cant fly, but the Hens fly in jumps. The houses are about 6' tall at the lowest edge of the roof and they fly up on that, then jump down. When I raised the fence to 8' they figured out that they could fly jump on the fence then use their feet and flap their wings to get over it. I've given up on keeping them in. It's the same 4 hens all the time. Someday a predator will get them. Hopefully they will put on more weight soon and won't be able to do it anymore.

Unlike roosters, the toms don't really care what the hens are doing. They just strut up and down the fence all day trying to punk each other out. When the sun goes down our rooster has all his hens in the house sleeping. The toms go in their houses and the hens stay outside till you chase them in. We use sunflower seeds to lure them in. They love those things. Makes their feathers look nicer too.