Incoming and ongoing cat woes

desertcat

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Just a thought, if the cats are ignoring the spray bottle, try canned air. I have a barn cat turned house cat that LOVED (seriously) get doused. One day I was cleaning computer keayboards and zapped him with it. All it takes now is to tap the can and he becomes a model citizen...at least for 30 seconds!

I also use tape sticky side up to keep the little darlings out of large flower pots and off things they shouldn't be on.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our cats only like the occasional nibble on our houseplants (particularly the fern), so we don't worry about them too much--just ensure that we have non-poisonous varieties. And we have a pot of cat grass in the corner of the kitchen floor that's just for them.

When we start seedlings indoors, we keep them on shelves the cats can't jump to.

Outdoors we surrounded each of our raised garden beds with chicken wire to keep both the cats as well as the squirrels from digging and it has worked really well.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
terri9630 said:
Denim Deb said:
You need 2 things, mice traps and newspaper. Set the mice traps and lay them on the area you want the cats to stay off of. Then, gently put the newspaper over top of it-single sheets only! The idea is, the cat will get up, the trap will spring, and while it will not harm the cat, it will scare it off of the area.
If mouse traps are used tape a stick or something inside it to to keep it from closing all the way. A mouse trap can break a cats foot or tail. I found that using double sided tape worked better. When my daughter was born my cat wouldn't stay out of the crib so when the baby wasn't in the crib I laid several strips of the tape in the crib. After having to untangle herself from the tape a couple of times she quit getting in there. It worked on the house plants too. Couldn't stop her from eating the spider plants or wandering Jews though. They must tate wonderful!
That's the reason for the paper on top. It's to keep the trap from closing on the cat. I've tried this method B4, and it worked. Not one of the traps closed on the cat.
My cat would have dug through the paper. Her favorite litterbox was my large house plants.