Incredible book

raro

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't usually advertise for books and such, but my sister got me a book that I have read several times from cover to cover and I think it's one that you guys would probably love. It's a reference-type book that I think everyone should have (yes, we can look up things on Google and whatnot, but if we had no access to computers, then what?) Anyway, I don't know if any of you have heard of it; it's called "Country Wisdom and Know-How: Everything you need to know to live off the land." Published by Storey Books. It's pretty cheap (under $10) and it has detailed instructions about how to care for every type of farm animal, from bees to livestock; canning and preserving; making crafts from nature; all gardening stuff; home remedies; herbs, etc. etc. It has recipes for roast raccoon and barbecued opossum. It describes how to tap maple trees for syrup. It tells how to prepare wood and make candles, etc. etc.
Anyway, I hope it's okay to post this. I just thought it was a great deal for such a wealth of information. Maybe some of you have already read it, but in case not, I thought I'd put it out there.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I have Storey's Basic Country Skills and love it!
They have some really great books!

chrissum

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Storey's guide to raising chickens was the first and last book I bought on that subject. Really good book!

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh, and there's a version for the nook, too.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, the parts I've read so far are good. There's detailed instructions for building a root cellar and corn growing, including genetic details and seed-saving concerns. Looks like a good reference but reads OK, too.