Indoor Clothes Dryers

Jen-pi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have been drying clothes inside lately in front of my pellet stove. I was wondering if you'all could post some pictures or give me some ideas on a better way to do it. The drying rack I have now is one of those accordian ones. It is flimsey and I dont like it being in the way.

I was think of trying to make something like this:

http://www.urbanclotheslines.com/ceiling-mounted-clothes-airers-clotheslines

TIA!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
That is awesome! But over $200??? :ep I hope you make your own! If you secure it well, you could hang the first one, and have another that you hook onto it to have another layer of clothes hanging when needed. Know what I mean?

I used to have a rack that I LOVED. I could easily put a large load of laundry on it and put it right over a heat vent. It fell apart after years of use and I haven't found another. It was like a small folding table with crossed legs, and the top was a flat grid of plastic coated wires about 2-3" apart. It was quite stable, as it was more like a table in proportion than those accordian type, that fall over when there is a faint breeze....never mind a jumping cat!

I have an antique one that is like an umbrella but folds up. I am currently replacing all the dowels, so will try to post a pic when I am done with pig week. The old dowels are stained and dirty, so I need new ones.

Jen-pi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That is awesome! But over $200??? I hope you make your own! If you secure it well, you could hang the first one, and have another that you hook onto it to have another layer of clothes hanging when needed. Know what I mean?
Yeah, no way I would be buying that! I would def try to make one.

Yes, I know what you mean...a double decker! I think they have those on that website also.

It was quite stable, as it was more like a table in proportion than those accordian type, that fall over when there is a faint breeze....never mind a jumping cat!
I know what you mean, my accordian one leans like The Leaning Tower of Pisa!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
The picture is a bit dark, but you should be able to see that it is a plain rod, hung with parachute string.
It is tied to eye hooks that are in the studs in the ceiling.
37989_puzzles_and_laundry_013.jpg

This works well for stuff on hangers.
We plan to make a better one that is ladder shaped.
That way I can hang other stuff easily.
We also will put it on a pulley system so it can be raised out of the way.
Right now I have several lines hung in the back "hallway" (don't ask :rolleyes: )of our handicapped bathroom where I hang little things.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Jen-pi said:
I have been drying clothes inside lately in front of my pellet stove. I was wondering if you'all could post some pictures or give me some ideas on a better way to do it. The drying rack I have now is one of those accordian ones. It is flimsey and I dont like it being in the way.

I was think of trying to make something like this:

http://www.urbanclotheslines.com/ceiling-mounted-clothes-airers-clotheslines

TIA!
That style harkens back to at least Victorian times!

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i just hang mine on the shower rod after everyone takes a shower for the night

the bathroom is small with a vent so i keep the door closed so by morning the shirts are dry then i just flip the jeans and hang them back on the hanger and they are normally dry by the time everyone is ready to take a shower again

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
A traditional British style is to have a couple of strong eyebolts with pulleys set in the ceiling, and make a rack-style frame that suspends from the ceiling by ropes. You lower it to put the clothes on (the ones I've seen pics of in use have had the clothes on clotheshangers, hung from the rack, like several rows of closet storage but with a bit of space left between adjacent garments). Then you pull it up out of the way and attach the rope to a cleat on the wall to keep it there til they're dry.

In a house with high-ish ceilings I could see this being useful.

I sometimes hang clothes where they get the outflow from a ceiling forced-air heat vent in the basement... but frankly there is enough "crud" going thru the vents that the clothes get a bit grimy by the time they're dry. So I try not to do it on a regular basis.

Pat

Latest posts