Indoor rabbits?

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I have a house bunny too. She is a mixed breed something or other adopted from the dog pound. She is fairly well litter trained. She will occasionally poop outside her corner litter box but always pees in it. She lives in a three story condo built from those wire storage crates that I built. I'm at school so I can't post pictures, but I think I already did so I'll try to put a link to my journal with the post #.
There are several House Rabbit websites. I don't really have a favorite. I've learned a lot from all of them.
I was recently at the CT Sheep and Wool Festival. There was nearly as much focus on fiber rabbits as sheep! And there was a woman who spins from her rabbit. She didn't do a demo though.

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow.. thanks for all the info! I could spend days with these links as well. I am not the least bit worried about shedding. 5 cats, 1 Basset Hound and a very wooly husband. Now that I think about it, I am the only living thing in our house that Doesn't shed! Maybe cleaning up all that hair is what pushed me to get dread locks :lol:

I do have one young cat. All my others are either old or very old. I am not the least bit worried about the dog, she is either uninterested in 'hounding' or afraid of what she should be hounding. Though it sounds like some clear lines of separation need to be considered. I work online, so I have computers everywhere, cords everywhere.

tortoise, I am in Northern Indiana.. near the Illinois border. What a wonderful offer. My sweet husband is out planting right now, but when he comes in I am totally going to ask about a trip to WI. We are making a trip to Iowa in a few weeks to pick up bees. I figure if we can go to Iowa for bees.. surely we can go a bit farther for a bunny! Do you think it will be hard to find a hotel that will let us keep bees a bunny and a dog in the room :lol:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
lol - I'm not sure about the bees part! :gig

Make sure to think about the opposite side of rabbits with other pets. They can TERRORIZE other animals. Rabbits (especially does) can be aggressive.

My first house rabbit had my pit bull running in fear. She would launch her self at the dog and hand off of the dog's back by her teeth. I finally found a new home for her when my cat had kittens. She beat up the cat to and I was worried what she would do to the kittens! :ep

No worries - MY rabbits are sweet. After that awful expereince with an aggressive rabbit, I make sure that I get rabbits with good temperaments and then handle them a lot. I can cuddle them like a baby. :love

ETA:

surely we can go a bit farther for a bunny
This cracks me up! I checked for you - there aren't any French Angora rabbit breeders (listed by the National Angora Rabbit Breeders Club) in Indiana or Illinois. So you'll HAVE to come here! lol I drive an 8 hour round trip to Minnesota when I need to refresh breeding stock. :th The things I do for bunny love...

Ohioann

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Check on local laws. We have a nearby community that has a law against rabbits in houses. :barnie
Can you imagine being the bunny buster and checking house for "illegal" bunnies!!! :th

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
All of my rabbits are indoors. For the most part they use their litter boxes. Some stray poops but not much. The big thing would be to spay or neuter them. Makes a HUGE difference in litterbox habits. As others have suggested, go to the House Rabbit Society website. They have a lot of good info.

By the way, I use wood stove pellets for my litterboxes. Regular cat litter is not safe for them. But I guess you have to make sure they are plain wood stove pellets. Apparently some pellets have some kind of coating on them.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Ohioann said:
Check on local laws. We have a nearby community that has a law against rabbits in houses. :barnie
Can you imagine being the bunny buster and checking house for "illegal" bunnies!!! :th
WHAT?! :ep WHY? That is... Wow... :rant :smack

Only law around here is about not selling dyed rabbits (or dyed chicks) around Easter time. :idunno

dntd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My meat rabbits are almost 100% litter trained:) I also have litter traimed mini rabbits. First I don't add litter to the whole cage, just the litter box, this will cause them to want to use the box, I just use the hay they eat as litter as it composts better, so much easier to clean.

dntd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
tortoise said:
Ohioann said:
WHAT?! :ep WHY? That is... Wow... :rant :smack

Only law around here is about not selling dyed rabbits (or dyed chicks) around Easter time. :idunno
Ours has a law about no rabbits outside!