Inexpensive Workhorse for the Farm, Ranch and Property

Whatugawkinat

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
As much of you probably know, an ATV is a simpler, cheaper and more versatile substitute for a much larger, heavier and expensive pickup. Recreational use aside, the ATV has been a workhorse for countless properties since its creation. Hauling, towing, maneuverability, plowing and rescue are just a few uses the ATV has seen throughout the decades...mostly due to their up front cost, maintenance cost and versatility.
There's just some things we can't physically do or do quickly enough for our greater benefit. Through recent years, the utility ATV market has skyrocketed leaving many people, including myself left in the dust. Cost has risen dramatically, and versatility has increased yet taken a back seat in other aspects. Long story short, the simple workhorse known as the ATV has become more of a short term purchase than an investment for many folks. Massive displacement, heavy weight, electronic parts and top of the line technology has its benefits, but for those that feel an ATV would be an investment worth trying but are afraid of the high cost of the latest models... I have some news.
I recently purchased an old '86 model 2wd ATV, now with the constant advertisements and supposed need for bigger, faster and more powerful quads getting you a little rustled about what's needed...for most cases and common work, a 2012 4x4 quad with power steering, ABS, EFI, 700+ cubic centimeter displacement and a rear view mirror isn't needed...and is more of a waste of power and resources.
Simply put, if you are looking for a quad to help around the property...an old 2wd shaft driven utility model will be more than enough bang for your buck and ownership responsibilities are minimal and simple. The reason for this post is just to let everyone debating on whether an ATV would help ease and productivity know not to turn away from those older quads often seen for sale. They are rusting gold with unbelievable potential to aid in building and living a more self sufficient life. We all hate to see things go to waste and from my experience over the years, letting an old quad go to waste is rather saddening. If anyone here has or is thinking of getting an old quad for use around the homestead, contact me. If I can't help directly, I will be happy to gain the information you need.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have seen them be given away as scrap here. I wish I could stumble up on one for "junk" but I haven't yet. My cousin got one still running just a few weeks ago. :/ I'm still looking.....

Whatugawkinat

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Around here...craigslist, local ads and simply stumbling across them in your daily travels is the best way to find one. If you're having trouble locating one for sale, keep an eye out behind garages, sheds and houses...if you see one covered over by a tap that hasn't looked like it moved in ages, you could probably speak with the owner and work on a price. ATVs are commonly bought, but very commonly used, abuse and left to sit. I don't think you would have any problems asking around and contacting anyone with a would be pile of rest. Too many good running machines hidden around to be left for waste.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We thought about a quad, but have decided to keep looking for a good 9N or 8N. A tractor can do anything a quad can and then some, which will work so much better for our needs.

Whatugawkinat

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
But a good quad serves two purposes. Work AND play :D. Live ain't worth living if all you do is exist, gotta have some fun.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
That's why I have a motorcycle, a horse and a canoe. :D There's no place to ride a quad around here.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Asking around is a really good idea. My brother and SIL saw a car sitting behind a garage and asked the guy if he wanted to sell it. $400, a $3 or $4 hose to fix it. It was already inspected the month before (they owned a garage) and then about a year or two later, they sold it for something like $1,200.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We've thought about getting one for here but...Id rather get a good mule for hauling/logging/plowing.

I could have it do the work I need done for minimal feed, enjoy working and riding it plus it would fertilize the land as we work it or have fun. It would be quieter than an ATV and be lower impact on the land. ;)

I have family with an ATV and get disgusted with the "joy" some of them exhibit with their fun and the way they/it tears up the woodland landscape. Ah, another plus for the mule...it will be much quiter, to a point!

Oh, I brought up the quiet factor already. :lol:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I hear ya on tearing up the land. DH and I were watching a show on TV. These people had quads and they were really tearing up the ground. They turned a beautiful grassy area into a mud pit. Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't see the point of doing that just for a bit of fun.